Monday, July 31, 2023

Peace in the Boat

Everybody is looking for peace. I find that there are always things that “come up” that seem to mess with our peace. What are those things for you?

This past week, I was focused on preparing for a mission trip to the Philippines. It was one of those weeks where I couldn’t quite keep up with all the craziness that was happening. From an excruciating dental procedure that continues to be painful to getting stopped by a policeman (thankful for only a warning!) to numerous other challenges, peace seemed elusive to me.

I want a break from the chaos. When I say I want peace in my circumstances of this last week, I’m really saying that I want a break from all the bad stuff happening. 

I think the story of Jesus walking on water really gives the perspective we need for peace:

“During the fourth watch of the night, Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said and cried out in fear. But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.” “Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.” “Come,” he said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water, and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and beginning to sink, crying out, “Lord, save me!” Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him, “You of little faith,” he said, why did you doubt? “And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.” (Matthew 14:25-32)

I know Peter wimped out eventually, but honestly, he was the first to respond boldly and energetically to Jesus. He stepped out of his comfort zone onto the water! Peter’s mistake began when he took his eyes off Jesus and realized he couldn’t rely on just himself. When fear sets into our lives, we begin to sink. That’s true for Peter. It’s true for us.

Jesus doesn’t remove all the storms that come our way, even with his closest friends. Yet he was present in the midst of the storm. Even when Peter failed, Jesus was there to save him. Peter knew to call out to Jesus at the moment of the crisis.

Peter showed what little faith looked like. Little faith focuses on circumstances, not Jesus. Little faith is affected by our surroundings. Little faith relies on our own strength. Little faith gives in during times of crises. Oh, may God enlarge our faith!

But look at verse 32! We see that those in the boat came and worshiped God! They acknowledged that Jesus is the Son of God. Just watching this scene changed everyone there! They moved quickly from fearing the storm to worshipping Jesus. That’s where peace is found…. the presence of Jesus. 

In the midst of my crazy week, I turn to a perfect verse to guide me, Philippians 4:6-7: “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the God which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.”  To all reading this, may we not let fear and worry rule our hearts and minds today. Not today. Not any day. Lord, give us Your peace.
Take a listen to Peace Over You (Here Be Lions) May God give us His perfect peace; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofJShphUUuI

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment