Monday, July 17, 2023

Doe, A Deer

I had never had a White-tailed deer get aggressive with me, until recently. While in Colorado, Ben and I were walking on a local city trail near the Durango-Silverton railroad track. We had just seen a mama (Doe, a deer) with her baby when a few seconds later, there was the mama (Doe, a deer), a bit too close for comfort. She was protecting her baby.

Ben and Chara, our doggie, were a bit ahead. There I was standing next to Doe having a bit of a stand-off. I thought it would be profitable to run, but Ben quickly said no. Instead, I was to turn, face the deer and show that I’m in charge. There was no sense in trying to outrun Doe! So, we had a bit of a back-and-forth talk until I proceeded to catch up with Ben.

A scared, protective, or irritated deer will show aggression and not hesitate to attack. A deer is never out to attack, but usually just wants to be left alone. Having humans and a dog near her wee one made for a very angry Doe.

Let’s look at Habakkuk in the Bible and the connection to deer. Habakkuk had a lot of questions and sought answers to his questions. He was troubled by life’s difficult questions. He saw a dying world and it broke his heart. Why is there so much evil in the world? Why does it seem that the evil seems to be winning? We ask similar questions too.

The book of Habakkuk is short, but profound as we watch a doubting Habakkuk question God, then declares he will wait to hear God’s answers to his complaints. The book concludes with a prayer of triumph and joy. Habakkuk rejoices in who God is and what He will do in the coming days.

Ya gotta love Habakkuk’s strong faith when nothing was going right! In Habakkuk 3:17-18, he cries out: “Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Savior.”  Have you ever felt like Habakkuk? Fig trees not blossoming. No fruit on the vines and no food as a result. The flock cut off from the fold. No herd in the stalls. Everything was stinking awful.

Suffering is losing things that we love deeply. Loss of health. Loss of a loved one. Loss of a job. Loss of our home. Loss of our lives as we know it. But wait, Habakkuk had a different perspective on his suffering. Habakkuk had sought God’s perspective with the bad stuff going on.

Here is the deer verse in Habakkuk 3:19: “The LORD God is my strength; He will make my feet like deer’s feet and He will make me walk on my high hills.”

Habakkuk said that God will make his feet like deer’s feet. He must have pictured the deer running on the high hills, leaping, jumping, never missing a step, never falling. Deer can leap on the hills as if dancing. They look like they are so full of life and joy! Habakkuk was saying that God will set his steps firmly and enjoy that same fullness of life. As he trusted in God, He would not let Habakkuk slip or fall.

I’m not sure when I will meet another aggressive deer. I will be watching! But, more than ever, I want to keep my eyes fixed on God, amidst the hurts and suffering that goes on in this world.
May we keep our eyes on God and worship Him and Him alone. Take a listen to this old song made new: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVoQjxVGy-0 

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment