Monday, July 24, 2023

Heart Check

Crunchy and crispy should describe some yummy snacks from Trader Joe’s. For many in Texas, it describes our drought-stricken yards. Yes, we still have green, but there is plenty of crunch and crispy brown grass taking over. Water restrictions are in place, so the only alternative is getting out there and hand watering. That doesn’t happen much at our house.

We all have different views of summer. I try not to complain about the 100-degree+ temps that drag on and on because frankly, there’s not one thing I can do about it. On my walks in the morning, I get so excited for Chara, my dog, when we see a yard with sprinklers in full force. Chara is beyond thrilled to get doused and plays gleefully in the water! She knows these sprinklers come few and far between.

Sometimes, our hearts are like that crunchy and crispy brown grass. Dry. Discouraged. Atrophied. Powerless. Dead. Our spiritual health matters! And if we’re not comfortable with exploring our spiritual life, we can just put it aside and focus entirely on our physical or mental health. Be willing to be uncomfortable! Your spiritual life matters to God.

What if you did a quick spiritual inventory? What if you were willing to get uncomfortable and explore your spiritual health? What if your heart is brittle and crunchy and dark? Would you want to tend to it?

Here are a few of the questions Dr. Darryl Burling offers to help expose our crunchy and crispy hearts:

1. Am I generally ungrateful for what I have?
2. Do I get angry?
3. Do I look down on others?
4. Do I have a high view of my importance or abilities?
5. Do I focus on my lack of gifts and abilities?
6. Do I talk too much?
7. Do I talk about myself too much?
8. Do I seek to control?
9. Do I dwell on what others think?
10. Am I devastated or angered by criticism?
11. Am I unteachable?
12. Am I sarcastic, hurtful, or degrading?
13. Do I abstain from serving others?
14. Do I lack compassion?
15. Do I get defensive or blame others?
16. Am I reluctant to admit I’m wrong?
17. Do I minimize my sins and shortcoming and maximize the sins of others?
18. Am I jealous of others?
19. Do I use others?
20. Do I complain against or pass judgment on God?

If you could pick three questions you struggle with, what would they be? As I ask God to expose my weaknesses and show where my heart is brittle, He does! Yet, God extends grace upon grace to us as we run to Him for our hearts' hurt.

Isaiah 58:11 says “The LORD will guide you always, he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.”

Are you in a desert season of life? God brings his word to refresh you and hydrate you. Do you struggle to know what direction to take? God will guide you continually. Are you weary? God promises to restore our strength. Do you feel dry? He promises to make us like well-watered gardens and give us life! God will give you abundant life even in the emptiest of places. Will You seek Him today?
Take a listen to this song and give God your heart: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkSBmRAVXNc

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment