Monday, February 28, 2022

Heartbreaking

Heartbreaking may be one word that sums up our last week. Just heartbreaking. So many stories. So much sadness. Just now, I watched on Twitter a father in Ukraine saying goodbye to his kids as he sent them aboard transportation to safety. He was staying behind to fight for his country. The love that was exchanged in that 43-second clip and the tears shed literally broke my heart. I don’t think I’ll ever forget this clip. How I pray that this conflict will end soon and he will be reunited with his beloved family.

But what if he’s not reunited? What if there’s more destruction, death, and heartache? How will this affect the whole world? How will it affect our own lives? As we watch on a TV screen, our hearts ache too. We ache for the precious people of Ukraine. We can’t do much, but one thing we can do is pray.

Would you join me in taking these moments with God to recite scripture pray and worship God?

What do we learn about God during a conflict? God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging…..He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth; he breaks the bow and shatters the spear, he burns the shields with fire. Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” Psalm 46:1-3, 9-10

A Prayer for those in Ukraine: Father in Heaven, We pray for Ukraine. We pray for your most swift divine intervention. God, the people of Ukraine need your miraculous protection. Give them hope in their situation. Give them a way out. We pray for your presence to give peace in the midst of this craziness. We pray for all those families who are separated and ask that You reunite them. For all those remaining behind in Ukraine to fight, serve, pastor, and care for people, God, be their constant protection. Rise up in them with a strength that is not their own. May they know that they are there serving for such a time as this.

Take time to pray each day:  Pray for the people of Ukraine. Pray for the people of Russia. Pray for children, leaders, soldiers, citizens, missionaries. Pray for peace. Pray for the needs of those still in Ukraine...food, water, gas, and funds. Pray for the helpless, innocent, and vulnerable. Humble the proud. Provide all the resources they need and keep them safe. Pray for protection, peace, comfort, and safety for the people of Ukraine. Give wisdom to President Biden and all global leaders. May unity abound in their decision-making.

God offers help and hope for the future. Make this Psalm your prayer for Ukraine:  “The LORD is my light and my salvation-whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life of whom shall I be afraid? When evil men advance against me to devour my flesh, when my enemies and my foes attack me they will stumble and fall. Though an army besieges me, my heart will not fear; though war breaks out against me, even then will I be confident.” Psalm 27: 1-3

Our God is a God of Justice: “The LORD reigns, let the nations tremble; he sits enthroned between the cherubim, let the earth shake. Great is the LORD in Zion; he is exalted over all the nations. Let them praise your great and awesome name- he is holy. The King is mighty, he loves justice;” Psalm 99:1-4

May this be your personal prayer: “One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple. For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock.” Psalm 27:4-5      

A Hymn of Worship in times of strife:
 “In Christ alone, my hope is found. He is my light, my strength, my song. This cornerstone, this solid ground. Firm through the fiercest drought and storm. What heights of love, what depths of peace. When fears are stilled, when strivings cease. My comforter, my all in all. Here in the love of Christ. I stand.” Adrienne Camp (In Christ Alone, Adrienne Camp) (Link below sung by Shane & Shane)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2ld1wI2hT8

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment