Monday, February 7, 2022

Matters of the Heart

Right before Christmas, I had a friend from Dallas who had to have two emergency open-heart surgeries in two days. Her heart went into cardiogenic shock and for some time, she was in very critical condition. So many people were pleading with God for her healing and on the day before Christmas, we learned there was a Christmas miracle! My friend was responding to the treatment!

Since then, I’ve been praying so much for my friend and that God would heal her heart. I’ve been thinking about the fact that God knows ALL of our hearts perfectly, and how important the heart is to life itself, both physically AND spiritually.

In the Bible, the heart is considered the seat of life. It is one’s entire emotional nature and understanding. The heart is said to have the ability to reason, question, meditate, motivate, and think. (Merriam Webster)

To think that God knows our hearts perfectly can be a bit quite unsettling. What does He see when He looks at our hearts? What parts of our hearts would we prefer to hide from God? Does He know the stupid things we’ve done in life? Does He see the way we judge others wrongly? Does He know our innermost thoughts and feelings?  Does He know if we’re angry with Him or even hate Him?

Let’s look at a few “heart verses” that give us insight into these questions:

“O LORD, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise, you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; You are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue You know it completely, O LORD. You hem me in behind and before, You have laid your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me and too lofty for me to attain…"
Psalm 139:1-6

Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me and lead me in the way everlasting.”
Psalm 139:23-24

“Lord, you know everyone’s heart.” Acts 1:24

"I the LORD search the heart and examine the mind, to reward a man according to his conduct according to what his deeds deserve.”  Jeremiah 17:10
“Trust God from the bottom of your heart; Don’t try to figure out everything on your own. Listen for God’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He’s the one who will keep you on track.” Proverbs 3:5-6 MSG

God is the heart-knower. No matter how near or far you are from God, God knows you and me completely and loves us perfectly. God is near and cares deeply when our hearts are damaged physically AND spiritually.

How do I personally respond to this? I want to trust the Lord with ALL my heart and realize I can't do life on my own. I want to seek God with ALL my heart! I want to care more about what He thinks about me than seeking approval from others. Why? Because He knows my heart and loves me perfectly. 

Will you consider these matters of the heart today? God wants ALL of your heart.

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio. 

No comments:

Post a Comment