Monday, February 21, 2022

I Can Do Everything?

I was swimming next to a lady this last week and I found myself wondering why I couldn’t keep up with her. She was flying through the water with flip turns at each end. I was just doing my same old speed with no flip turns. Oh, I could do a flip turn. I just don’t. Anyways, I was comparing her ability to my own…. “She’s a stronger swimmer than I am.” Woe is me. I’m slow. Sigh……..

How do we measure strength? Strength is defined as “the quality or state of being physically strong.” (Oxford Dictionary) I guess the lady in the pool is “stronger” than I am, right?

It’s funny how we compare ourselves in this category of “strength.” We want to appear strong, whether it’s our fitness abilities, our work, our accomplishments, raising kids, or anything else important to us.

I’ve been thinking about this verse tucked away in the book of Philippians all week long. It’s written by the Apostle Paul and his circumstances are grim. He’s in prison. Yet, for being in prison, he’s a pretty chipper guy. In fact, I would say, he had a ton of joy and gratitude. Philippians 4:13 says, “I can do everything through him who gives me strength.” Everything? What in the world did Paul believe?

In Christ, we have His power. He is sufficient to provide the power we need and to face the challenges that come our way. Now, I will say that doesn’t mean I can beat the fast lady swimming next to me. What it does mean is that as we partner with Jesus, we face our troubles, pressures, and trials with Him. As they come into our lives, we invite Christ’s strength to help us.
Strength when we get a bad medical diagnosis
Strength to help in making decisions. 
Strength when the pressure at work won't stop
Strength in relational pain and loss
Strength with conquering an addiction
Strength through a crises
Strength in the midst of domestic abuse
Despite being in awful circumstances, Paul was not discouraged because he had discovered his sufficient strength was in Christ. He could live a joyful and triumphant life no matter what troubles surrounded him, not because of his own human strength or a great talent or charismatic character but through Christ in Him.

I’ve lived a lot of life and gone through way too many situations where I tried to manage the situation in my own strength. I will tell you from a voice of experience, it doesn’t work. Why is this verse written on the walls of so many of our YMCAs in San Antonio? It’s a call to recognize the One who provides the strength and wisdom we need in EVERY situation that comes into our life.

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment