Monday, March 7, 2022

God is Still God

I struggle to watch the news as it’s so grim. I struggle not to watch the news as I want to know what’s going on. But watching the horrifying cries for help and the pictures of burning buildings is almost too much to bear.

No one knows what’s going to happen. I think we humans really like to know what’s going to happen. We don’t know. God does. And it is in Him, we trust.  

This week, I’ve been thinking of an old hymn that I learned growing up. The hymn, by Isaac Watts, was written in 1719, O God Our Help in Ages Past. Here are a few verses of the hymn:

 1 O God, our help in ages past,
Our hope for years to come,
Our shelter from the stormy blast,
And our eternal home:

2 Under the shadow of your throne
Your saints have dwelt secure;
Sufficient is your arm alone,
And our defense is sure.

3 Before the hills in order stood,
Or earth received its frame,
From everlasting you are God,
To endless years the same.

6 O God, our help in ages past,
Our hope for years to come,
Still be our guard while troubles last,
And our eternal home!


When struggles come in our lives, we often forget that many have gone before us with even greater struggles than we will ever go through. Throughout the Bible, we see so many who’ve gone through so much tragedy, so much pain and loss. Jesus. Job. David. John the Baptist. Jonah. Daniel. The list goes on. God has always been and will always be our help, our hope, and our home. This does not dismiss our own fears and troubles. Our struggles are very real.

But here’s the hope: You and I have the assurance that even if we don’t get immediate relief from pain and troubles, even if all we can do is cry out to God with no immediate answers in sight, GOD IS STILL GOD. He is still real. You may have turned away from God because you didn’t feel he came through for you the way you wanted some time in life. I get that. God didn’t come through for me in some things that I longed to see happen. Yet, I knew He was still God. 

We have a God that will always withstand the storms of life. He has been our help in ages past. He will be our help in this age. He hears our cries. He is our hope for years to come.  Trust Him.

“I took you from the ends of the earth, from its farthest corners I called you. I said, ‘You are my servant’; I have chosen you and have not rejected you. So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:9-10

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio. 

No comments:

Post a Comment