Monday, March 14, 2022

God is Near

There’s nothing like cranking up a George Strait song as I meander up a windy, country road to see Daisy, my horse. However, lately, I’m listening to the news, and more than often, I’m turning down the volume. I just can’t listen. It’s too much. The pain and suffering are getting to me. I want to believe this war is not happening. But it IS happening.

Watching humans suffer is agonizing. Being those humans that are suffering is more agonizing than any of us can imagine. I can’t shake these images out of my head. Innocent children dead. Pregnant women injured. Mass graves. A father weeping over his dead son. There are no words to express absolute horror, evil, and destruction in real-time. Just 3 weeks ago, these people were living a good and normal life.

I can’t make sense of it all. I honestly don’t know what to say. But, in those moments, when I turn down the radio and can’t listen to one more word, I redirect my mind to my Father in heaven. I wipe the tears running down my face and in that silent moment, I pray. I pray about the very situation I just heard about on the radio. I cry out to God for mercy. I call out to God for judgment against those that are evil. I ask God to stop this awful devastation. I know He hears my prayers….every one of them. 

Brother Lawrence once said, “You need not cry very loud; he is nearer to us than we think.” Yes, God is nearer than we think. For the Ukrainians. For the refugees in Poland. For people around the world. For you and me. Will you consider running to Him as you wrestle with these atrocities?

You see, God is a personal God. He longs for us to come to Him and enjoy a relationship with Him. He wants to console, comfort, care for and encourage us in our own times of suffering. He is very aware of the human suffering going on in our broken world and will act sovereignly. Consider God’s character and nearness in these verses:

“But as for me, the nearness of God is my good; I have made the LORD God my refuge. That I may tell of all Your works.” Psalm 73:28

“I have set the LORD continually before me; Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.” Psalm 16:8

“The LORD is near to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.” Psalm 34:18

“Am I a God who is near,” declares the LORD, “And not a God far off?” Jeremiah 23:33

“Draw near to the Lord and He will draw near to you.” James 4:8

I desperately need God in my life. Knowing that I can talk to Him about ANYTHING, and He hears me is so comforting. And so today, let’s remember that God is near and longs for you to draw near to Him. He will help you. He will care for you. He will gently walk with you through whatever you face.

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment