Sunday, March 29, 2020

Look at the Birds!

It was pitch dark. No cars to be seen or heard. No distant road noise. No lights. I had gotten up super early to take a morning walk. Little did I realize how quiet this quiet could be! The silence was deafening, until I walked down a certain road.

It seemed like the birds had all gathered together to welcome me to their street with glorious song! Now, I know birds may sing at any time of the day, but the symphony created by this dawn chorus was delightful.

It didn’t take long to transition my mind back to reality and remember that I was starting another day in isolation and that our world is going through a horrific crisis.

Then, I remembered a verse in the Bible. A verse about birds…..

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?.... “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” Matthew 6:25-27, 33-34

It seemed that God was using that early morning dawn chorus to teach me about Himself. You and I are valuable to our heavenly Father and so we can trust Him for our life. Did you take that in? YOU are VALUABLE to our heavenly Father! This passage reminds us that we are far more valuable to our Father than birds! Jesus urges us to not worry, but to seek the Kingdom of God. When we focus on God and His kingdom, we don’t have to worry! Will you trust Him today? 

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment