Monday, March 16, 2020

When Life Changes

So much has changed since last week and we are left to wonder….what does the future hold? People getting sick. Self quarantines. No NBA basketball. No travel to Europe. No Disneyland. No NCAA Tournament. No college classes on campus. Canceled concerts. Stock market woes. No toilet paper. The list is growing by the day.

Daisy, my horse and I had been working hard to show at the Austin Rodeo today. But, late last week, they made the decision to cancel the entire rodeo. It seems like a little thing, given all the other things canceled. But it affected me, so it hit me harder. You see, when things affect us personally, it touches us differently. And for most of us, we’re ALL affected in someway by the COVID-19 Virus. And it’s natural to feel a sense of confusion, anxiety and even panic, because it's personal.

We are living in unprecedented times. How are you dealing with the craziness? What are you afraid of? How do you handle the feeling that you are totally, completely and unequivocally out of control? How do you find comfort and peace?

When life changes so drastically, I cling to what God says. I read God's word. I want to blanket my mind with His promises instead of focusing on what I can’t control and the craziness around me. So, I've listed a few verses that cause me to pause, reflect and find hope. May they be that for you as well....

“Because we don’t focus our attention on what is seen but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but the unseen realm is eternal.”
 2 Corinthians 4:18 TPT
"The Lord alone is our radiant hope and we trust in him with all our hearts. His wrap-around presence will strengthen us.” Psalm 33:20
"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10 NIV
"You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.” Isaiah 26:3 NIV
"The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles. The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.” Psalm 34:17-18
Run to God, like RUN to Him!! He longs for you to come to Him. He is present and available to take on all your fears and concerns when life changes.

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment