Monday, March 9, 2020

Let it Go!

So, I learned that today was "National Get Over it Day." I don't normally pay attention to these types of days, but this one got my attention. This day is about doing just what it implies…get over it! I learned that “it” could be a number of things. Spilled milk. Challenges at work. Relationship strife. Those things make your mind messy and resentful.

This past week, I’ve been dealing with the challenges of puppy ownership. Puppies do what puppies do… bite, scratch, play hard and go potty in the wrong places. This too shall pass. I really had to reorient my expectations and realize we currently have an ADHD puppy, which is pretty typical. Get over it, Nancy! I'm refocusing on the joy and fun our new puppy, Chara, brings!

The problem with letting things go is that they usually come back to haunt our minds. Is it possible to let things go? As we walk through the Lenten Season, we can so easily forget the challenging path that Jesus walked. Jesus, throughout the Gospels, taught on forgiveness. On his path to his death on the cross, He modeled forgiveness, when people literally chose to crucify Him. So, shouldn’t Christ be our model in letting things go?

To live in Jesus Christ’s forgiveness, we can let go of the small things that bug us and even the big things, the hate, hurt and brokenness of the past. We don’t have to be angry at God. We don't have to withhold our love from others.

Become aware of where hurts keep you from being open, loving and free with other people. Where do you tend to withhold love? Consider journaling about these struggles with letting go of things that still bug you. Pray about each one. Will you allow Christ to be your model in forgiveness and letting go?

To practice letting go, meditate today on the death of Jesus on the cross. Contemplating Jesus’ path softens my heart to the joy of His forgiving love. It gives me a natural bent to WANT to follow Him and become like Him. I can’t do this “letting go” thing on my own. But Jesus is there, waiting and ready to help me….and you. Come on…. Let’s participate in National Get Over it Day. Now and always.

“Master, how many times do I forgive a brother or sister who hurts me? Seven?” Jesus replied “”Seven! Hardly. Try seventy times seven.” Matthew 18:21-22, The Message


Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment