Monday, April 6, 2020

A New Easter

I love the many traditions we have in our family at Easter! I love hosting a family dinner complete with a Honey Baked Ham. I love decorating blown out Easter eggs with my quilling art. I love preparing and executing the family Easter egg hunt in the back yard. I love attending church and celebrating the wonder of Easter.

This year, none of my “loves” will happen on Easter. I’m truly sad about that. I assume you are adjusting your plans as well. Everything has changed, for everyone. Nothing remains the same for us.

I’ve been struggling to think about how to celebrate Easter this year. I may miss the many traditions we have and our family fun times, but I don’t need to miss out on celebrating Jesus and His resurrection! Laying aside all the busy Easter preparations has caused me to pause and reflect on the resurrection personally. In these moments of extended quiet and isolation, Jesus is very present and available to you and me.  

I encourage you to make special plans for the week ahead. We have time, don’t we? It’s funny how we can always find something more important than spending time with God. Maybe, just maybe, now is your time.

I invite you to walk through the week with Christ as He walked toward the cross. Take in the smells, sounds and experiences that Jesus went through. Try to feel what He felt. Allow yourself to imagine the pain and agony He went through on our behalf. Journal any of your thoughts and responses to God as you go through this week.

Monday- Read Luke 19:41-48
Tuesday- Read Luke 20
Wednesday- Read Luke 21
Thursday- Read Luke 22:1-65
Friday- Read Luke 22:66-71 and Luke 23:1-56
Saturday- Read Luke 23:56 and Isaiah 53
Easter Sunday- Read Luke 24 and Isaiah 52:7-10

Maybe, just maybe, this Easter will be the best new Easter you’ve ever had. Happy Easter!

“This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us.” 1 John 3:16a

“In his great mercy He has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.” 1 Peter 1:3

“Christ the Lord is risen today, sons of men and angels say. Raise your joys and triumphs high; sing, ye heavens and earth reply.” – Charles Wesley

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment