Thursday, August 8, 2024

Trusting God in the Trials

Daisy’s hoof print is indelibly engraved on top of my boot. A nice visual memory for when my horse spooked and came down on my foot. I’m no longer wearing cowboy boots these days, but a walking boot. It’s cumbersome, ugly, and not the fashion I want for the last part of summer. Hopefully, it will aid in healing my broken toe.

It’s been quite a summer! It started with an inordinate number of shakes or tremors that seemed to come out of nowhere. Through a series of doctor visits, it appears I have an anxiety disorder. This summer has turned out to be one of the hardest in a long time. There appears to be a lot of unknowns, which I have a hard time with.

What I do know is that I will trust the Lord the best I can through these series of trials. I sense God uses our daily life to draw us close to Him and teach us. For me, I sense there are things He wants me to take note of in my life. What stresses me out? What healing work needs to be done? How can I seek God during my pain rather than be annoyed with Him for allowing this?

James writes in James 1:4-5 “Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.” I want to sit with that verse for a moment.

Right now, I don’t care about being mature and complete. If you’re like me, I prefer to make an all-out effort to avoid trials at all costs. I just want to be well. But God, in His grace and love for me, wants to use these trials for my good!

Can I believe and live like I can grow in spiritual strength and maturity even when things aren’t ok? Could I make that my aim each day? Can I have and experience patience while I’m GOING THROUGH the trial? How? Many scholars say the word “perseverance” literally is the idea that someone remains consistent through opposition or continues despite the difficulty.

So, what does it look like for you and me to do this? First, “Endurance makes us spiritually mature. It’s not the suffering that produces maturity, but the act of endurance. Consistency in life, even in the face of trials, produces Christian maturity, not just suffering.” (God Questions, How can we let patience do its perfect work?) Secondly, we must turn to God for strength and hope when things get hard. It’s easier sometimes to turn to self-pity, anger, or avoidance. A daily choice! Finally, it’s important to ask God for wisdom as you walk through the ups and downs of trials. When we ask Him, He is happy to guide us and give us the wisdom we need at each turn.

I don’t know what will happen in the future, but I do know that God desires to walk with me through my trials today.
Take a listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8eh1Yu-kFM

“We also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance, perseverance, character, and character, hope.”
 Romans 5:3

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment