Monday, August 12, 2024

Happiness Vs. Joy

Are you ready for some football? I certainly am! I’ve loved watching the Olympics. But I’m super excited that football is finally here, even if it's only preseason games. It makes me so happy. I love this time of year!

Each of us has things in life that make us happy. Being with family and friends. Sports. Our jobs. Volunteering. Helping others. Sleeping. Exercising. Being married. Our children. Doing acts of kindness. Practicing gratitude. Being outside.

Yet, we’re not always happy. There are times in life when we’re far from experiencing happiness. That’s where it’s important to understand the difference between happiness and joy. I think we can get the two words confused.

Happiness is a state of emotional well-being that a person experiences when good things happen in a specific moment or more broadly, as a positive evaluation of one’s life and accomplishments overall. It’s that feeling that comes over you when you know life is good and you can’t help but smile.

I love looking at the word joy from a spiritual perspective. Joy is a feeling of good pleasure and happiness that is dependent on who Jesus is rather than who we are or what is happening around us. Joy comes from the Holy Spirit as we learn to trust God and find our hope in Him.

So, happiness is based on circumstances. I’m happy watching football.  I'm happy hiking with my husband. I’m happy if things go my way. As you can see, joy is much different. Look at how the Bible describes joy:

Jesus desires our lives to overflow with joy: “These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.” John 15:11

God can bring joy even amidst difficult circumstances: “You make known to me the path of life; in your presence, there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.” Psalm 16:11

God can give true hope, joy, and peace“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.” Romans 15:13

I love being happy, but I realize I'm not always happy. Yet, I can trust Jesus to experience joy no matter what the circumstances. I want that kind of joy, don’t you?
Take a listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uysGt7JVw9U

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment