Monday, August 19, 2024

Overcomer

I would love it if my Dad could tell me the Rattlesnake story again. After he told it, I would ask him “Could I hear it just one more time?” This ridiculous event would have made even the toughest rancher cringe. As a young man near their Wyoming ranch, he went hiking and found a cave he wanted to investigate. He crawled in and looked around and lo and behold there was a Rattler coiled up at the side of the entrance in the cave. What in the world? It was then that I asked, “WHAT DID YOU DO THEN?” Ever so slowly, he crawled to the side of the hole and shimmied out of there never to awaken the sleeping snake. Whew.

Just remembering that story scares me! It reminds me of the time David in the Bible was in a cave in Psalm 142. Psalm 142 is titled: “A Contemplation of David. A Prayer when he was in a cave.” Charles Spurgeon (in Matthew Henry's Commentary) goes on to say, “It’s a Psalm of instruction, because of the good lessons he had himself learned in the cave, learned on his knees, and so learned that he desired to teach others.”

Psalm 142: 1-3, 7 - “I cry aloud to the LORD; I lift up my voice to the LORD for mercy. I pour out before him my complaint; before him, I tell my trouble. When my spirit grows faint within me, it is you who watch over my way…..Set me free from my prison, that I may praise your name.”

David was freely expressing his helplessness and hopelessness as far as his present circumstance was concerned. He knew to cry out to God. He was also determined that God could rescue him. Even when he felt alone and no one cared for his soul, he knew that God would hear his cry.

We can feel imprisoned just like David. Somehow the power of those old wounds still wound. The power of insecurity can cripple. The grief that still hurts. The fear of rejection and abandonment is real. The agony of a wayward child. The horrific memories of what should never have been can still linger. The fear of “what will happen?” Many things can hinder us. But God wants us to have courage and pray with confidence “Set me free from my prison that I may give thanks to your name!”

David expressed openly his desperation. He was downright real. It's OK to be desperate for God to work! I certainly am these days. It’s ok to admit that life is hard. It’s ok to pray for God to change things. I pray every day for God to change this anxiety diagnosis. And you know what, God truly wants us to be an overcomer! He wants to see us through our trials. Don’t give up. Don’t quit.

The lyrics to “Overcomer” by Mandisa are true for you and me: “Whatever it is you may be going through. I know he’s not gonna let it get the best of you. You’re an overcomer. Stay in the fight ‘til the final round. You’re not going under ‘cause God is holding you right now. You might be down for a moment. Feeling like it’s hopeless. That’s when he reminds you that you’re an overcomer. You’re an overcomer.”

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment