Monday, May 29, 2023

Swallow Gone Bad

 Life can change so quickly. It was less than a month ago that Ben and I took my dad to my nephew’s wedding. It was truly wonderful to see him all dressed up in his borrowed tux and bolo tie. He looked so dapper!

And here I sit watching him breathe, eyes closed, lying in a hospice bed. Realizing that his life on this earth is drawing nigh. It feels a bit surreal.

As the hospice social worker said to me, “He’s always been around every day of your life. You don’t know life without him being your dad.” Yes, that’s true.

For my dad, it was just one swallow that went bad. He ended up in the hospital for 8 days and came back to the assisted living center weaker, needing hospice care.

We, humans, have trouble talking, thinking, and dealing with death. I sense God knew that death would be hard for us. Thus, He promised throughout scripture that He would walk with us through the darkest of times, including grief and loss.

Sipping a Diet Coke and watching Dad, I’m trying so hard to stay awake. This is hard! I have to remember God’s promises. Promises that are true whether life is great or hard.

God’s presence is my comfort- He will never leave me, never! So, right here, right now, God is with me giving me the strength to be with my dad and walk him through these last days. “Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them; for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you.” Deuteronomy 31:6

God listens and cares- You know how it feels when you’re sharing something important, and no one is listening? It stinks! That’s not our God! He always listens. He always cares. He knows exactly the pain we go through and wants to walk with us through it ALL. "Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken." Psalm 55:22

God gives perfect peace- Even in our difficult moments of life, we can have perfect peace. How can this be? Our God can provide supernatural peace. I feel that peace right now. “You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast because they trust in you.” Isaiah 26:3

God gives guidance for the path ahead- The days ahead will not be easy. Decisions to make. Travel to plan. All the unknowns lie ahead, yet I  have a God who guides us each moment. All I need to do is ask. “The Lord makes firm the steps of the one who delights in him; though he may stumble, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with his hand.” Psalm 37:23-24
God uses people to bring encouragement- I'm so grateful for the hospice nurses! I am so grateful for my friend, a nurse, who came to be with me when I first saw my dad. I'm so grateful for the many who prayed and encouraged me through texts and phone calls. "A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a time of adversity." Proverbs 17:17

God gives eternal life thru His Son Jesus- I’m thankful that Dad knows Jesus and we know that He will enjoy His eternal home in heaven. “Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope. For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in Him.”  1 Thessalonians 4:13-14

Today, I pause and thank God for my dad. A Navy Veteran from World War II. Wyoming native. Artist. Square Dancer. Grape grower. Farmer. Hard worker. And so much more.

May God bless each one of you as you remember those who died while serving their country on this Memorial Day. May you clearly see God’s gift of life itself and the brevity of life.
Take a listen to "I Will Rise": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKRF8UihM5s

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment