Monday, May 22, 2023

Wembanyama Hype

It’s a new day here in San Antonio. Those of us that are NBA enthusiasts had our eyes glued to the TV the night of May 16. The NBA Draft Lottery meant something to us this year because the San Antonio Spurs had a chance for the number 1 pick, Victor Wembanyama.


They finished announcing the number 5 pick and then it went to a commercial break. What, a commercial break? More pacing and nervousness. Finally, down to the last 4. I stood watching, waiting as each card was read. Houston. Portland. Charlotte. The San Antonio Spurs secure the number one draft pick!

San Antonio went crazy. Horns honking downtown. Packed bars of patrons were screaming. I was screaming. Finally, after a tough few years, watching great Spurs being traded away and having just the young blokes, we have a new beginning. There's hope!

The Wembanyama hype is for real. When the Spurs are good, our city operates at a whole different level. Already, there is excitement for the future. Wemby hasn’t even come yet, but we’re hoping for the best.

Wemby has certainly given me a spring in my step this week. I’m beyond thrilled. But, when I really thought about it, I had to remember that with anyone, no matter how good, it’s not perfect. It may take some years to get better. Wemby may get injured. Wemby may want a trade. Those die-hard Spurs remember Kawhi Leonard becoming unhappy here, changing the trajectory of the Spurs.

We want to trust people to come through for us. Yet, David, the in Bible knew that He had to make a distinction between God and man. In Psalm 118:8-9 it says “It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man. It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in princes.” David knew what he was talking about. He had been betrayed multiple times by those close to him. He had plenty of people mess with him. But David had the ability to not get bitter and seemed to learn the reality that we all face: all sinful people will eventually fail us. But God can always be trusted.

So, even you and I aren’t trustworthy? That’s right. We will always have the potential to fail people. So, we must be able to still trust people, knowing that people can fail us. Without trust, it’s hard to have a true relationship.  Yet, when we develop a relationship with God through His Son Jesus, we embrace the truth that God will never fail us which gives us the ability to trust others. Psalm 118:6 says it so beautifully “The LORD is on my side, I will not fear. What can man do to me?” 

As much as I’m ecstatic about landing Wemby, I’m realistic. I realize that he’s a human being and not the end-all-be-all. He may change our city and our Spurs for the better. Today, I can fully celebrate Wembanyama. I also celebrate that my ultimate trust and hope are found in God alone.

“Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding In all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight.” Proverbs 3:5-6

Take a listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JPT4u6hyb4

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment