Monday, January 2, 2023

Life-changing

My husband, Ben, and I always make a trek to Fredericksburg before Christmas. We just happened to pick the coldest day of the year! We bundled up and stopped first at a snug, rustic lunch spot called Rathskeller, in the basement of an old building.

After our meal, the waiter pointed out on the whiteboard the dessert specials. Hey, it’s the holiday season, so why not? I noticed the peach bread pudding and asked about it. The waiter responded with utmost enthusiasm…. “It’s life-changing!”

Bread pudding? Life changing? To be honest, it was a pretty good bread pudding. But, life-changing? We had a bit of fun joking about our life-changing bread pudding that day.

But honestly, who doesn’t like the thought of something life-changing?

We have just begun 2023. What are your hopes and dreams? How will you learn from the struggles of this last year? As you face the new year, what do you fear or dread? What do you hope for? How would you like to experience life change?

Each year, I like to take time to reflect on last year and refocus on what I’d like to see happen in my life in the coming year. It’s a time to ask and reflect on these very questions. I take time to write what I call faith goals based on my responses. These faith goals require me to take action as well as trust God to work in my life.

This time of year is a good time not to ignore all those tugs in our hearts. Often, we ignore our own hearts because we can’t possibly believe that God can help us and walk with us through what we want to change in our lives. He very much wants to help You grow!

Max Lucado writes “Hope is not what you’d expect; it is what you would never dream. It is a wild, improbable tale with a pinch-me-I’m-dreaming ending. Hope is not a granted wish or a favor performed; no, it is far greater than that. It is a zany, unpredictable dependence on a God who loves to surprise us out of our socks and be there in the flesh to see our reaction.” (God Came Near)

God longs for us to depend on Him. He wants to walk with us and help us change for the better. He longs to surprise us! He is for YOU and me! God can do more than you or I could ever ask or imagine! (Ephesians 3:20) Will you trust God to do in you what could not be done without Him?

Dear God, Thank You for your love for us and your desire to be in a relationship with us. Help each of us trust You for the year ahead. We ask that You help us really think about what needs to change in our lives. Humble us. Help us hear your voice. Help us establish faith goals for this next year, knowing we need your help to accomplish them. God, help us experience real life-change because of You in our lives. Amen.
I find this song such a perfect song of blessing for each one of us as we begin 2023: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R84PqRdZ7_Y

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment