Monday, December 19, 2022

Interruptions

My otherwise lovely and enjoyable Christmas season was abruptly interrupted this past week by a dental emergency. Nothing like a toothache to get your attention. I’ve always had a fear of losing a tooth, so this was a significant interruption.

My first reaction to this interruption was fear. My normally very low blood pressure skyrocketed as I sat in the infamous chair. As I glanced outside through the blinds, I saw a robin just sitting on a tree limb. Immediately, God reminded me of his presence! I reflected on the verse in Matthew 6:26 “Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?” God used that bird to calm me down and remind me that He sees, and cares for me in that very moment. God carried me through this interruption!

The Christmas story involved a blatant interruption. The shepherds were watching over their sheep when suddenly an angel appeared. The shepherds’ lives would never be the same. Take a look at the scripture:

“And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks by night. An Angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, ‘Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.” Luke 2:8-12

The shepherds’ first response to their interruption was fear! And who wouldn’t be afraid when they suddenly saw an angel? Interruptions interrupt what we’re doing and the shepherds had a job to do! Interruptions change the status quo. Interruptions prompt change and we humans really don’t like change.

I find it so beautiful that God chose the shepherds to be among the first to encounter Jesus. That interruption was a good interruption. Think about it…. the shepherds were not seen by most, not appreciated, and even looked down upon. Not very important. Not known about town. Yet, it was the Shepherds, that stood face to face with Jesus. It seems that God wanted to communicate that He saw those shepherds and honored them for who they were.

Do you ever feel overlooked? Unloved? Forgotten? Unappreciated? Take a look at the Christmas story and study the shepherds in more detail. Just like them, God sees you. God knows you. God loves you. God cares for You. You are important to Him, even if You don’t feel like it. Remember that in our interruptions, God is there and very present. He used an angel for the shepherds. He used a robin for me. He’ll use anything to remind You how much He loves you.
Picture what it would be like that holy night. How would you respond to what you saw and heard? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRuunhHiEPg

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment