Monday, January 16, 2023

Humility and Martin Luther King, Jr.

Today, we observe Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. I want to focus on a quality of MLK that we could emulate as well. Humility. He carried his selflessness wherever he went. Americans could not help but take note, learn from MLK and change their behavior. MLK was different. Take note of his words on humility:

“If an of you are around when I have to meet my day, I don’t want a long funeral. And if you get somebody to deliver the eulogy, tell them not to talk too long. And every now and then I wonder what I want them to say. Tell them not to mention that I have a Nobel Peace Prize- that isn’t important. Tell them not to mention that I have three or four hundred other awards- that’s not important. Tell them not to mention where I went to school. I’d like somebody to mention that day that Martin Luther King, Jr., tried to give his life serving others. I’d like for somebody to mention that day that Martin Luther King, Jr., tried to love somebody. I want you to say that day that I tried to be right on the war question. I want you to be able to say that day that I did try to feed the hungry. And I want you to be able to say that day that I did try in my life to clothe those who were naked. I want you to say on that day that I did try in my life to visit those who were in prison….” (A portion of what was written by Martin Luther King Junior before he was brutally murdered in 1968.)

Where are selfless leaders today? What selfless leader would inspire you toward change? Sadly, humility is seen as a weakness by some. Yet, humility is the exact opposite. It is strength…… a quality that MLK emulated.

I refer to Richard Foster’s book, Learning Humility: A Year of Searching for a Vanishing Virtue.”  He writes “I rather think that pride seems so strong because it orients all our desires and all our appetites around the self. The human self becomes the most central thing in our thinking and our living. Add to this that a key element in pride is the love of power. It contains this need to control and manage everything…and everybody.” (pages 62-63)  He goes on to write “Humility is so very appealing when we see it in another person. Conversely, when we watch someone consumed with pride it feels unnatural, deformed, and twisted. Humility is beautiful, whereas pride is ugly.”

Do you yearn to be a woman or man that walks in humility? Do you see the beauty of humility in Martin Luther King, Jr.? You know, I think we all know humility when we see it. We know pride as well. But, reflect on these words, again by Richard Foster in his book, Learning Humility:

“Today I sit and watch people going about their daily tasks. I listen to the conversations that go on. I notice their body language. Some, it seems, are working hard to impress others. Some appear timid and fearful. Some are loud and appear determined to dominate everyone else. Still, others seem to be adjusting their position relative to the group. But a distinct few seem quite different. They listen to others with genuine interest. They speak easily but not to impress, only to participate in the conversation. They have an unusual ease about themselves. Most of all they are marked by a wonderful freedom from self-absorption. These, I think, are the truly humble ones.”
 (Page. 65)

Who are you? Who am I? May the Lord help each of us to walk in humility.

“I therefore, the prisoner in the Lord, beg you to lead a life worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, making every effort to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.” Paul, Ephesians 4:1-3


Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment