Monday, January 23, 2023

Mistakes

I’ve been a Dallas Cowboys fan for as long as I can remember. Of course, I was thrilled to see the Cowboys beat the Buccaneers last week. They looked like legit Super Bowl contenders, except when the kicker, Brett Maher, was on the field.

I read the horrible statistic about his four missed field goals. Supposedly, Maher is the only player in the NFL since 1932 to miss four extra points in one game, regular-season, or playoffs. (@Toddarcher)

Twitter went crazy with memes, jokes, rants, etc. about Maher’s misses. One favorite was: “If you can kick and are currently in the stadium right now come on down to the field, we got a jersey for you.”  I really liked this quote too “I’ve had days like the Dallas kicker.” You and me both, dude.

I think if we were super honest, we would admit that we prefer to hide our mistakes. We learned at an early age that our personal mistakes can hurt us. Others may joke, ridicule, gossip, put us down, ignore or shame us. In turn, we can often beat ourselves up in our minds for our mistakes.  As a result, it’s often hard to admit we made a mistake.

As I reflect on Maher’s game, I felt so badly for him. Can you imagine the whole country talking about your kicking mistakes? Can you imagine all the thoughts that went through his mind? Can you imagine how he felt about all the jokes on social media about him? Maher had a week that none of us would want. 

As a follower of God, I’ve grown to appreciate more and more the grace of God in my life. When I understand what God says about me, it truly changes my perspective. God forgives me. God accepts me. God loves me unconditionally. God doesn’t gossip and put me down when I make a mistake. God cares about every feeling I have and longs to encourage me. I can live in the absolute freedom His grace gives.

I want to learn from my mistakes, but not be debilitated by them. I want to be open about my mistakes, not hide them. I want to gain wisdom from the mistakes that I make. Because I’ve made plenty of mistakes in my life, I have sensitivity for others that make mistakes too. I want to treat them like our heavenly Father treats them. 

I’ve also learned the value of prayer in my life. Prayer helps me as I seek God for wisdom, choices, and actions. As I read God’s word, I learn to trust Him with all my heart and not lean on my own understanding, which is often wrong. (Proverbs 3:5-6) Sure, I’m going to still make mistakes, but maybe fewer mistakes, with God’s help.

We all make mistakes. Seek God. Seek forgiveness. Learn from your mistakes. Receive God's grace and mercy and don’t forget to extend that to others.  
So thankful for God's forgiveness! Take a listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZVjKrmvYYQ

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment