Monday, August 29, 2022

Why God?

I think a lot of people give up on God. Life gets hard, sooner or later. Many get disappointed in God because something happened that shook them to the core. Some may even try to pray but don’t feel like God answers. God has failed to meet expectations. The result? You give up on God. God wasn’t there when you needed Him most. So, you do life with God at a distance.

What questions do you have for God today? What questions for God keep you from God?

God, why won’t you heal ________?
Why can’t you just answer this prayer?
Why did you allow ___________to happen?
Why won’t you restore this relationship?
Why did you allow trauma/abuse in my life?
Why do you allow good people to suffer?
Why do I have to wait so long?
Why am I going through this situation?


I remember going through a mysterious pain behind my knee years ago that literally changed my day-to-day life. The debilitating pain would occur out of nowhere and I could hardly take it. I went to doctor after doctor for answers and finally ended up at Mayo Clinic. Even Mayo didn’t know what it was! It wasn’t until a year later, that I was diagnosed with an issue with a nerve that caused all the madness. So many people prayed during that time for healing. I questioned God and his ways. Thankfully, with extensive therapy and lots of prayers, God healed me.

I find that we don’t really like God’s answers when they don't line up with what we want. I want God to want what I want. During that season of chronic pain, I wanted to see the reasons God allowed it and exercise my option to disagree with Him! I find this verse gives me perspective in times I question God:

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.” Isaiah 55:8-9

Over the years, I’ve come to believe that these very tough circumstances in life have actually drawn me closer to God. He knows what is best for me and always working in every life situation, for my good. It is through these difficult times, I have the opportunity to believe in God for what seems impossible.

We tend to believe only what we can fathom and see. What we fail to see is what God can do! Matthew 19:26 says, “Jesus looked at them and said, ‘With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.’”

Check out this song that helps me get out of my human expectations and see the power and greatness of my God. I can believe in miracles! I can pray for miracles! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTkYjd3RD6k

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio. 

No comments:

Post a Comment