Monday, May 23, 2022

Make Room

Summer is almost here and before you know it, we’ll be busy with summer-like things.  I prefer to make some summer goals that include work, volunteering with our pooch, exercising, working on my horse, special home projects, and downtime.

Downtime. It’s that downtime that is problematic. Why does it seem that there’s no downtime, especially with God? We can get so overwhelmed with our daily to-do list that making room for God in our lives seems problematic. How in the world do we have time for hanging out with an invisible God? That sounds ridiculously strange, right? Not at all.

I’m excited about my summer goals! But, at the heart of it all, is having a vital, growing relationship with God.

Personally, I need my time with God each day because I know who I can be without Him. A mess. An absolute mess. There are certain practices that I find very important to help me make room for God in my day. Here are a few:

Take moments to be quiet with God- God longs for us to be with Him. Psalm 46:10 “Be still and know that I am God.” We have trouble with the “being still” part AND the “knowing that I am God” part. The idea of slowing and being still is strange for many of us. Sitting with God in silence seems counterculture, so much so, that there’s a tendency to want to pick up our phones and find out what’s new on Facebook instead! Scrolling our phones can seem way more appealing than spending time with God. I encourage you to try a different practice: Schedule time with God, just like you do an appointment! Find a cozy spot, indoors or outdoors, and get alone with God. He will meet you there. Every time.

Invite Jesus into everything
- I’ve come to realize that I do far better when I invite Jesus into everything that I do. My first job out of college was at a nursing home. Upon my departure from that job, Florence Travis, (100 years old at the time) gave me a 3x5 card with these words on it: “Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.” (James 4:8) The wisdom of Florence was perfect. She left her mark on my life! I’ve learned to invite Jesus into my work schedule and basically my daily life. I need Jesus! I invite Christ to make his home in my heart. Jesus longs to have a personal relationship with all of us. He longs to walk with us through everything. We are never alone.

Take off the masks- Many prefer to hide behind masks, that may or may not be actual masks. As much as we don’t like pain, it can become our new identity. We throw on our masks to hide from others because truth be told, others could hurt us. We begin to live with masks, never taking them off, hiding our true selves. Our loving Father knows the masks we wear, every one of them. Invite Him to gently peel each layer off so that You can become the real “You.” The unmasked “You” will discover a beautiful new identity!

Just think what God could do in your life this summer if you practiced making room for God!

“Step out of the traffic! Take a long, loving look at me, your High God.”
 Psalm 46:10 (The Message)

“Never hide your fear because it will become your own God, hidden inside you.” Sorin Cerin

Take a listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrQuKK6jz-4

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment