Monday, May 9, 2022

God's Goodness in My Life

I didn’t realize until it was time to write my 'Start Up' for the Y that it would land on my birthday. There was a day and age when I loved to draw attention to my birthday, but not so much now. But I think it’s a noteworthy time to draw attention to what God has done in my life. There’s so much, but here’s a snapshot:

God had a perfect plan for my life. My beginnings in life started in an orphanage. I was thankful to be placed into adoption by my parents. Later in life, as I came to know my birth parents, I learned more about what happened. My mother was an acrobatic roller-skating dancer who danced her way into living rooms on the variety of TV shows of that era. She basically lost her career due to her “surprise.” Even despite my birth father offering to marry her, that didn’t happen. I’m so grateful for God giving me the gift of life, despite the rough beginnings. He had a perfect plan even though many would have called my birth a “mistake.” I revel in reading Psalm 139:13-15 and placing my name in it: “For you created my (Nancy’s) inmost being, you knit me (Nancy) together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I (Nancy)I am fearfully and wonderfully made. My (Nancy’s) frame was not hidden from you when I (Nancy) was made in the secret place, when I(Nancy) was woven together in the depths of the earth.”

God is personal to me. I was profoundly impacted by a personal relationship with God when I was 17 years old. I showed up at a different church one Sunday night chasing a boy but found God instead! I saw for the first time that Christianity wasn’t about going to church or even doing the right thing. It was about a relationship with Christ. That rocked my world! Knowing Jesus is everything to me! He has been my anchor amidst all the rockiness of life. He has helped me through so many insecurities, challenges, and fears. I can’t imagine life without Christ.

God loves my prayers to Him! I continue to be blown away that the God of the universe delights in communicating with little ole’ me. I’ve come to realize that I need to pray about pretty much everything. My need for God is great and He has extended to me, his child, this gift of prayer. Why wouldn’t I want to pray like crazy? I know God answers prayer. I know He cares. Prayer is my lifeline to my Father in heaven!

God helps me in the pains of life. Life is full of pain. If I were to ask you your greatest pains in life, it wouldn’t be hard to come up with pain that has etched your soul. Pain has a way of getting to us all. Some people try to pick up their bootstraps and just gut it out. Because God loves me, I can trust Him for all my feelings, circumstances, struggles, doubts, and pains. And you can too! Although my circumstance may or may not change, I can look to God to hold me securely in the difficulties. Jesus has walked me through a lot of pain in life! He pays attention. He comforts. He doesn’t ask any of us to keep our pains to ourselves but gives us guidance: “Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for us.” (1 Peter 5:7) I’m so grateful for His constant care for me through life’s struggles.

God gives me perfect peace.  I’m blown away by the peace of God amid the frailties of life. He is the giver of perfect peace. He asks me not to worry about ONE thing but in everything pray to Him. When I do that, I’m fine. The peace of God is like the beautiful flowing Guadelupe River… so calming, so wonderful, so glorious.

Take a Listen: 

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment