Monday, June 6, 2022

Firm Foundation

When I was in Uvalde, I saw a level and degree of pain that I had never seen before. It took me some time to process all I saw and heard. It changed me. I will never forget walking into a room of teachers from Robb Elementary School with our doggie, Chara. We just allowed Chara to love on people as they wept and huddled together. We talked if people wanted to talk. We offered a prayer if people wanted prayer. We lingered if people wanted puppy hugs. And then, we left.

We left, but we carried their pain with us, as do most of us. I sense that what took place in Uvalde has shaken ALL of us to the core. It certainly has me. We don’t know what to do. There are certain things we can do to make a change, but we still struggle to do more.

I feel vulnerable and weak in these matters, but I do believe this is an opportunity to rely on God. Every moment. The trauma, stress, and trouble around us are great. But God is God. He sustains everything. He is always trustworthy. Always.

I find that when I look at all the craziness this world offers, I can get shaken to the core as well. But when I look to God, His word, His promises, and His hope…..then I get a different perspective.

It reminds me of the Psalmist in Psalm 73 when he was so envious of the wicked because it looked like they prospered leaving faithful people to question why they bothered to be good. The Psalmist literally placed his gaze on the wicked and their antics, which left him distraught! Then, one day, He entered the sanctuary of God, and everything changed:

“When I tried to understand all this, it was oppressive to me till I entered the sanctuary of God; then I understood their final destiny……Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward, you will take me into glory. Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.” (Psalm 73: 16-17, 23-26)

When we look all around us, we will be shaken. When we look to God and enjoy a relationship with Him, He gives peace that makes no sense. He will never let us down.

Take a listen to this cool song that speaks to Christ, who is our firm foundation in this crazy world: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzQvggUparA

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment