Monday, June 6, 2022

So Many Feelings

Today is the day that we honor the men and women who died while serving in the US Military We take time to reflect on the men and women who gave their lives on behalf of their country.

At the same time, we’re all distracted. Everything changed on Tuesday, May 24, 2022, when a gunman went into Robb Elementary in Uvalde and killed 19 children and two teachers.

There are so many feelings to feel. When I went to Uvalde this past week to serve with Canines for Christ, the agony, grief, and gut-wrenching pain were palpable. I barely spoke a word, but allowed Chara, our pup, to be the spokesperson. I offered prayer when it seemed right. Listened. Cared. Gave a hug here and there.

I didn’t really get a grip on my feelings until the next day when I cried like a baby. Their lives will never be the same.

How do we process all that has happened? What can we do? Here are some thoughts on my mind:

Grief is everywhere. Those in Uvalde feel deep grief. I think many of us around the country feel grief in different ways. You’re connected to Uvalde. You have children the same age. You’re a teacher. You know someone who died. You’re a grandparent or parent. You can’t imagine how precious children could be gunned down. The enormity of our pain is real. Will you take time to process your grief? Will you share with a friend how you’re feeling? Will you be honest with your feelings and not hide them? Will you trust that God is near and willing to walk with You through all your feelings? (Psalm 34:18)

Fear is gripping. I wonder if many of us have had thoughts like “What if a shooter steps into our church or our school or our home?” These are honest to goodness real fears because we know bad things can happen. But, when we live in the “What if’s?” of the future, things that haven’t happened yet, “what if’s” can take control of our minds. These thoughts become more prominent in our minds.

This verse is so helpful for me when I struggle with fear. “When I am afraid, I will trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?” (Psalm 56:3-4) I just can’t let fear have its way in my brain, even when everything in me has a good reason to fear. The Psalmist gives me a secure plan for my greatest fears. God is trustworthy, no matter what.

Do good to one another. John Wesley once said, “Do all the good you can, in all the ways you can, to all the souls you can, in every place you can, at all the times you can, with all the zeal you can, as long as ever you can.” With God’s help, I want to live this way! Ask God to help you overcome evil with good. Be kind. Ask others how they’re doing…and really take time to listen to their response. Care deeply. Listen well. Follow up with those that are hurting. Do good to one another. Be the change.

Believe you can make a difference. Everybody wants to do something. Well, everybody CAN do something. We all have unique gifts, passions, and ways that we can serve each other. Pray for those who lost a loved one by name. Get involved in changing the laws. Give blood. Gather with others and figure out how you could serve those in Uvalde. Be creative. There is a way YOU can make a difference.
 
Take a listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMWrAqMWhWs

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment