Monday, August 30, 2021

Questioning God

If you could ask God any question, what would you ask him?  What is my purpose here? Why is there so much evil? Why do bad things happen? Habakkuk was a man who had lots of questions for God and passionately sought answers from Him. He was troubled by what he saw, and it broke his heart. Here are his questions to God:

“How long, O Lord, must I call for help but you do not listen? Or cry out to you, “Violence!” but you do not save? Why do you make me look at injustice? Why do you tolerate wrong?” (Habakkuk 1:2-3)

Habakkuk’s questions would be summarized “How long?“(vs. 2) and “Why?“(vs. 3) Maybe you’ve had those same questions for God? I know, I have!

God’s silence can feel deafening and scary. I’ve asked those same questions of God. Why? Why did you allow a difficult experience in my life that crushed me? How long do I have to wait for the things near and dear to my heart? As I look back on these circumstances, I see now what I didn’t see then. I see now that God was in complete control, even when I struggled to believe it at the time.

Habakkuk was a prophet to God’s people and was extremely sensitive to the injustices in his society. He was desperate to hear from God and understand what God was doing. He was upset, angry and had some very specific questions he boldly asked of God! He didn’t hold back one thing!

Please note the beauty of this. God allows us to ask Him anything! We can give Him all our questions. I believe, He eventually answers with a “yes, no, or wait.” Just look at Habakkuk! In Habakkuk 1:5, the Lord answered Habakkuk: “Look at the nations and watch- and be utterly amazed. For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe, even if you were told.”

Habakkuk had real questions. He believed God, yet he looked around and saw that the world doesn’t seem to match up with how God wants it to be. Check out the book of Habakkuk, because you will see at the end of the book, a different Habakkuk. He prayed! Habakkuk knew that God was going to discipline Judah and it wasn’t going to be pretty. He also knew the character of God. Because of that, He would still rejoice in the Lord. Check this out:

“Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails, and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Savior.  The Sovereign Lord is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer; he enables me to go on the heights.” (Habakkuk 3:17-19)

Question God. He can handle it. But don’t miss that He is and will always have your very best interests. Seek Him. Rejoice in Him. Don’t run from Him. He is near and loves you perfectly.

"We cannot see all that God is doing, and we cannot see all that God will do. But we can be assured that He is God and will do what is right. Knowing this can give confidence and hope in a confusing world.” (Life Application Study Bible, NIV, Habakkuk 3:19 commentary)

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio. 

No comments:

Post a Comment