Monday, August 23, 2021

Good Dose of Peace

 Anyone lacking peace these days? There are enough circumstances swirling around us to have us hankering for a good dose of peace. I need a good dose of peace that is different from what the world has to offer, don’t you?

Just this morning, I was reading John 14:27 “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.”  This dose of peace is different. I want it, don’t you?

Just think! Jesus shared these comforting words with His disciples before He died. Jesus knew the chaos, strife, and challenges that life would bring for the disciples. He explained that He was leaving His peace with them to care for them after He left the earth. His peace would reign over the peace that the world tried to give. Peace is a gift that God gives through knowing Jesus as our Savior. What a gift!

Maybe you, like me, lacked a bit of peace this week. As I preparing to travel, I was stressed out. My husband and I questioned whether we should fly with the COVID situation. I stressed about all the things I had to do. I stressed about getting up at the crazy hour to depart on a  5:45 a.m. flight. Yep, I let stress get the best of me.

The next morning, I calmed my anxious thoughts by just meditating on a verse in the Bible. Colossians 3:15 says “Let the peace of Christ, to which you were also called in one body, rule your hearts.” 

I wanted Christ to rule in my heart, but how? Priscilla Shirer, in her study titled “Discerning the Voice of God,” said this “In the New Testament city of Colossae, believers struggled with a number of temptations and decisions. Regarding these issues, Paul told them to let peace be the guiding, determining factor in their choices. The Greek word that is translated rule in our English Bible-to rule in their hearts-is significant. It means to act as a judge or umpire.”

Will you allow the peace of God to rule in your heart? It is really a daily and honestly, a moment-by-moment choice to permit the peace of God to rule in your heart. He promises us peace and it’s there for the taking. What hinders your peace? Are you focused on all the bad news? Have you forgotten the gift of gratitude? Have the circumstances of your life allowed your peace to dwindle? Have you forgotten or dismissed God from your life?

Abide in Christ. Rest in His love. You will experience perfect peace as You keep your mind on God. (Isaiah 26:3) I dare you to try. Right now, invite God to allow you to experience His peace. May you enjoy His peace today.

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment