Monday, August 9, 2021

Seeing As Jesus Sees

I remember the catastrophic experience of getting glasses in elementary school. I needed them, for sure. But they were a bit too cat-eye-ish for the times. As time went on, I was happy to get contacts. I still stash a pair of fashionable glasses away, to bring out on certain occasions. I might note, they also actually helped me see better.

Good vision is great, but I want to see others in a new way. Like Jesus sees people. Now, more than ever, everybody we meet is carrying some type of heartache. COVID has affected all of us and it’s a shame when we try to cover up our pain and act like everything is hunky-dory.

Every day, my “seeing people like Jesus does” mindset can get caught off guard by several little blips in the road. I can get irritated, annoyed, or find myself judging others rather than loving them. I can get lost in myself and my own needs. I can just be tired, even of people! I truly need God’s help in seeing as Jesus sees!

Do you believe that the image of God exists in every human being that you meet? I know, there are some you question whether this is true. But it is true. Yet our own inability to see people as Jesus does is because of our own judgments, our own baggage, our own sin, and triggers. Sometimes, seeing as Jesus sees requires a humble heart before God, pleading with Him for help. Trust me, Jesus will help you when you ask Him.

Gosh, I think about how Jesus is so different that each of us….

Jesus doesn’t care about failure or success.
Jesus doesn’t see accomplishments as a reason for acceptance.
Jesus doesn’t look at who’s popular and who’s not.
Jesus doesn’t judge those “haves” and “have-nots.”
Jesus doesn’t hold on to past grudges.
Jesus sees what we lack and yet sees what He can give.
Jesus doesn’t condemn or disapprove. He makes a way for dealing with our sin.
Jesus doesn’t shame us; we heap shame on ourselves.
Jesus is motivated by compassion. Always.  
Jesus forgives.
Jesus values all of us.


When we read the Gospels, over and over, we get to see the character of Jesus. Really see. Jesus is different. If we saw Him as He truly is, we would fall down in love and worship, like the Apostle John.  (Revelation 1:12-19)

Invite Jesus into your life. Learn from Him. Read the Gospels. Pray and ask Jesus to help You see others as He does.

“The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” 1 Samuel 16:7

 Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

1 comment:

  1. A nice reminder. The world we exist in now is so chaotic and insane. Up is down, left is right, men are women...God help us! Seems like the only solution possible sometimes.

    ReplyDelete