Monday, August 3, 2020

Disillusionment

Disillusionment. Have you felt it lately? I have.

We can be disillusioned by the state of our country. We can be disillusioned by a relationship. We can disillusioned in our faith. We can be disillusioned by COVID. We can be disillusioned by our jobs. We can be disillusioned when our lives don’t go the way we want them to. 

Disillusionment is having a feeling of disappointment resulting from the discovery that something is not as good as believed it to be. It causes one to feel let down and begin to wonder “What in the world has happened?”

For me, I had a belief about how my life would turn out. I had plans of marrying young and having children. I felt like God was in those plans. But, after years and years of praying, things didn’t quite happen that way. It was tough, knowing God had my best, but wondered why He didn’t answer my prayers? It was cause for disillusionment.

It was during these years of singleness, that God solidified a marvelous truth: Jesus is the only One who can satisfy the ache in my human heart. I learned that I couldn’t put my trust in circumstances or how I thought my life “should” be.

I remember back then, looking to Jesus in the Gospels for help. Jesus didn’t put his trust in people, but in God. John 2:24-25 “But Jesus would not entrust himself to them, for he knew all men.” Jesus knew about human nature. Jesus was discerning. Jesus refused to be disillusioned by the way people treated Him. He entrusted His life to God and constantly prayed to the Father for help and guidance.

So, if we put our trust in human beings, politicians, peoples' opinion, finances, jobs, our health, etc, we will eventually be disappointed. Whatever is disillusioning to you today, please know that there is hope. God is hope. He has a beautiful plan for your life as you trust in Him. He can be your refuge and give you a new perspective amidst the craziness around you.
Refuse to be disillusioned. Stop demanding others be for you what they can never be. Invite God to be for you what only He can be. He will redeem Your pain and bring hope. Trust me on this. 

“The LORD is with me; so I will have no fear. What can mere people do to me? Psalm 118:6

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment