Monday, August 10, 2020

Transparent Masks

Masks are now a part of our daily lives. Insert sad face. Back when COVID hit, we received a good supply of standard blue face masks from Amazon Prime. I notice now how many upping their fashion game by coordinating daily outfits and masks. I guess I have no interest in mask fashion.


Recently, however, I purchased transparent masks to show my mouth. This is a great help for those that are deaf or hard of hearing. Transparent masks help people understand you better, but they also allow you to see each other’s smiles. More than ever, we all need a friendly face.

So, how can we reveal our transparent self while behind a mask?

Believe in people- I get it, we all sin and eventually, there will be something in every one of us that warrants being “canceled.” I’m sure I’ve been canceled many times in the cancel culture! But, I’m going to believe in people and see the good in them. Mike Mason writes “By looking at people with the eyes of faith-past all the masks, the games, the lies- we pierce through to the truth of the person whom God created. God did not create anyone to be a failure, a thief, a drunk a bore.” (Mike Mason, Practicing the Presence of People) Being involved in prison ministry helped me with this. Stop judging and start believing in people, no matter what they did in the past. Did you know that God does this for us?

We need people- Don’t get too comfortable in your isolation, especially you introverts. People need people. The apostle Paul, shows us clearly in 2 Corinthians 6:11-12 his need for others. But when his feelings weren’t reciprocated, he didn’t write them off. Instead, he prayed for them and yearned for them “We have spoken freely to you, Corinthians, and opened wide our hearts to you. We are not withholding our affection from you, but you are withholding yours from us.” Now is the time to reach out to people and truly care. Now is the time to allow people to truly care for you. We really do need each other.

Love well- In 1 Peter 1:22, Paul tells us to “love one another deeply from the heart.” COVID calls us to get outside our box and look for ways to sincerely love people deeply from the heart. Pray for people regularly.  When you pray for someone regularly, you develop a love for them. Reach out and initiate a face time or a zoom call. Compliment people.  Notice something about them. Inquire about them, really listen and follow up. Send cards. People love to feel loved and valued. It takes a bit more creativity in COVID.

Go for being your true self- I can’t be my true self without trusting God with my whole heart. (Proverbs 3:5-6) Otherwise, I put way too much weight on what people think about me. When I trust Him with my heart, He helps me be my own true self. I have no need to hide from anyone. I can be my silly, goofy self. Free. Alive. Who doesn’t want that?

“God hath given you one face, and you make yourselves another.” Shakespeare, Hamlet

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment