Monday, July 27, 2020

Fear of the Future?

I was pretty excited about our upcoming vacation to Durango. Ben and I really needed a change of scenery and it was perfect timing to get away for a few weeks. But, way in the back of my head, I had this gnawing fear. What if something bad happens on this trip?

It seemed like just yesterday that we invited our same friends coming this time, to join us in Durango. It was then, four years ago, that we spent the day at Haviland Lake, affectionately renamed Lake Break-an-Ankle. My dog and I had taken a walk and before I knew it, she had tugged so hard towards the water, that my body twisted, but my feet did not. I screamed in pain, loud enough to be heard back in Durango. In what seemed like hours, I was eventually carted out of there on a stretcher and rushed to the local hospital.

It was that hair-raising and excruciating experience that drove me to a fear about what might happen on this trip. Funny, how fear can creep in and affect our current situation.

Do you fear the future? You know, those things that could happen in our lives? As we live through this challenging season, I suppose most of us have encountered the emotion of fear. Have you worried about a relative getting COVID? Have you feared getting COVID yourself? Name your fears. Most of us have them.

Here are some thoughts about how to deal with fear head on:

Do not fear the future. It’s really not effective to spend time worrying about something that hasn't happened. It’s just not. We’re not in control. I keep coming back to a staple verse in the bible that deals with this topic head on: “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” (Isaiah 41:10) That verse really gives me a new perspective for what to do with my fears.

Grace for the moment.  I bet you wonder how some people get through the most devastating of circumstances? It’s because God gives grace for the moment. You wonder how you’re going to get through losing a loved one? God promises to give you the grace you need for when it happens. He will be there for you. He will be enough and give an abundance of grace. His grace will uphold and strengthen you then as He is already doing now! (2 Corinthians 12:9)

Seek the Lord. What do I mean by that? Go to God. Pray. Tell Him you want to learn more about Him and relate to Him. When we seek God, He answers us and delights in delivering us from ALL our fears. (Psalm 34:4)

Share your fears with a friend. Don’t hide your struggles. Ask a trusted friend for prayer. No one needs to suffer in fear alone. God can use others to help get fear out of our head!

It’s time to be pro-active with fear and not let it take up residence in our minds. Really, don’t let fear get the best of you. Don’t let fear ruin a perfectly great vacation. Don’t let it destroy the coming days of your life. Live today. God’s got your today. He’ll be there in your tomorrow.

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment