Monday, March 4, 2024

Greater

This morning, Ben and I were up super early for our spin class at the YMCA. Good music makes for good spinning. When I feel the music, I get into it. This morning was no exception. The song “Greater” by Mercy Me came on:

Bring your tired
And bring your shame
Bring your guilt
And bring your pain
Don’t you know that’s not your name
You will always be much more to me

Every day I wrestle with the voices
That keep telling me I’m not right
But that’s alright

‘Cause I hear a voice and He calls me redeemed
When others say I’ll never be enough
And greater is the One living inside of me
Than he who is living in the world…..

Bring your doubts
And bring your fears 
Bring your hurt
And bring your tears
There’ll be no condemnation here
You are holy, righteous, and redeemed.

Every time I fall
There’ll be those who will call me
A mistake
Well that’s okay…..

‘Cause I hear a voice and He calls me redeemed
When others say I’ll never be enough
And greater is the One living inside of me
Than he who is living in the world….. (continues)


I know what it’s like to wrestle with the voices. Maybe you do too. The voices that can compete for my attention. The voices that can put me down. The voices that say I’ll never be enough. The voices can be in our heads or real life. It’s hard to switch it off when it’s in our minds.

And no one knows we struggle. The voices continue and we think this is just life.

No! It doesn’t have to be this way!


I’ve known Jesus a long time, but I still need discipline and strength to hear God’s voice over all the other voices. I know I need God’s written word, the Bible to help me hear His voice. It’s God’s truth that enables us to recognize what does not come from God. The more I read God’s Word, the more I recognize God’s truth about who I am. When we are focused on ourselves and what we’re going through, we may miss God’s voice.

What if we lived like God was greater? What if we knew that knowing Christ gives us freedom from guilt and shame?  What if we knew that we could invite God to help us with the voices that haunt us? What if we knew we didn’t have to live with doubt and fear?

Cause I hear a voice and he calls me redeemed.
When others say I’ll never be enough.
Take a listen: Greater by Mercy Me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXI0B4iMLuU

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment