Monday, March 25, 2024

Bracket Buster

My bracket was busted in less than a day in the men’s NCAA basketball tournament. My bracket is put together on a wing, with no prayer, and a little knowledge about college basketball. I know the names of a few good teams. But that’s it. I didn’t count on shockers like Oakland defeating three-seeded Kentucky.

Some interesting facts: I read from Forbes that over 22 million March Madness bracket submissions were busted on ESPN’s platform last Thursday. I’m in good company. Then, I also heard on our local radio station that the odds of a perfect 63-game bracket can be as high as 1 in 9.2 quintillion. Well, there you have it. No perfect bracket.

Just as I have no perfect bracket, I have no perfect life. I have sinned. I sin daily. I will keep on sinning as much as I try not to. Sin is my reality. Sin is your reality. I am not nor will I ever be perfect.

I think deep down we all know we’re not perfect. It’s so easy to hide our cracks, mistakes, and goof-ups, hoping no one sees them. We have a natural proclivity to hide our sins. Yet, we can’t hide from God. The big problem with humankind is found in Romans 3:12 “No one does good, not even one.” None of us are good enough for God because His standard is perfection.

Because God loved us so much, He had a solution for this. God came to the rescue by sending Jesus to the earth in human flesh. Authorities in his time plotted to kill him. He was arrested, falsely accused, and condemned to death on a cross. He was mocked, rejected, betrayed, and left on a cross to die.  

Jesus became the willing substitute for our sins. He hung on the cross for three days and before He died, declared “It is finished.” (John 19:30) Jesus knew and said He would be killed and on the third day He would rise again. This next Sunday, we celebrate what happened on that first Easter: Jesus’ resurrection!

God does expect you and me to be perfect. But because there’s no possible way for us to be perfect, He sent Jesus. Because of Christ’s sacrifice, He sees believers as perfect. (Hebrews 10:14) If we know Jesus, he has imputed his holiness to each child of God. He has left us with His Holy Spirit to work within us to bring Him glory.

I pray that You comprehend the beauty of the Easter message and celebrate well because there is much to celebrate.

‘For by one sacrifice, he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.” Hebrews 10:14

This week: As you begin Holy Week, take time to read the passages of the Easter story in the Gospels: Matthew 26-28, Mark 15-16, Luke 22-24, and John 17-20.  May God use these passages to help prepare your heart for Good Friday and ultimately, Easter.
Take a moment to listen to this beautiful song by Andrew Peterson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIahc83Kvp4 

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment