Monday, March 11, 2024

Everybody's Going Through Something

Everybody’s going through something. What I find sad is that we often hide what we’re going through because there’s an unwritten rule we must appear together.  We laugh it off. We try to minimize. We don’t want others to know our weaknesses.

I was just with a group of women this past week and I believe almost everyone in the group was going through something hard. It was sweet because as we opened up and shared our struggles, we allowed others in with them. We took time to pray together and give our burdens to God. 

Everybody’s going through something. We don’t need to go through it alone. We need our God to walk with us and a few trusted people as well.

Beth Moore tweeted recently “I don’t say these words tritely but with much thought over recent years. The best counsel I have for any of us walking through something we basically feel we cannot bear is to walk through it with the Lord. I mean really. Deliberately. Daily. Let his inaudible voice whisper to your spirit, come with me and I’ll walk with you through it."

Beth goes on to write “I’m telling you the truth here. How have I made it and how am I making it and how will I make it? And I will! Despite anything and everything, I surely will. I have one answer and only one and it is the truest thing to which I could ever testify: THE LORD.”

What’s your something? Loneliness. Betrayal. Marital or relational strife. Job issues. Fear. PTSD. Confusion. Lack of peaceful sleep. Suicidal thoughts. Heavy grief. Depression. A child who is struggling. Anxiety. Growing older. Medical issues. Crazy thinking. The suffering of someone you love. 

Whether we’ve just gone through something, we’re going through something now or we’re about to go through something, there is always SOMETHING. And it’s important what we do with our “somethings.”

We can turn to all sorts of things to deal with our somethings. The latest cool podcast. A drink or two or three. Some kind of habit or addiction. Hide from them. Reading the latest self-help book. Scroll through Facebook or Twitter to take your mind off it. And to be honest, many people just try to live with their somethings.

I believe Beth Moore’s words hit true for me. Jesus has walked with me through my somethings. I can't imagine life without Him! I find Matthew 11:28-30  (The Message) truly is what I do to get me through. It says: “Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me-watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.” I run to Jesus just as this verse speaks about. Jesus’ presence has sustained through through some of the darkest of days.

So, when you wonder how you're going to get through your something, I invite you to consider Jesus in your life. He longs to have a personal relationship with You. Whatever you’re walking through, it may be incredibly hard, but going through it with Jesus is way better.

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment