Monday, January 22, 2024

Learning in the Ups and Downs

It was an exciting weekend of NFL football, but sadly the Dallas Cowboys were NOT involved. I thought this year would be different and the Cowboys would make it to the Super Bowl. But sadly, they lost their playoff game. Again.

Then there are the San Antonio Spurs. I was thinking that once Victor Wembanyama joined the team, things would be different. But alas, they have one of the worst records in the NBA. I had high hopes for the Spurs this season. What happened?

There is certainly more to life than our favorite sports teams winning their games! I get that. As I started thinking about my disappointment, I came across a portion of an interview with Coach Popovich after a recent Spurs game.

The interviewer asked: “How do you see the light at the end of the tunnel? In your situation, where do you find the hope and belief that there are better days ahead?”

Coach Popovich answered: “You have a choice. You either believe that or the other. Or you become a defeatist. We all have ups and downs. We all know the comment that you don’t know who you are until you’ve been knocked in the teeth. It’s true. You hope the players have the character to understand it’s a process. It’s not instantaneous. You have to have the patience and know it’s a teaching situation…."

I love Pop’s comments. We DO have a choice. Far beyond sports, we have a choice in the ups and downs of life as to how WE respond. It’s during those challenging times that we build character and recognize patient endurance is possible with God at our side.

I think one of our responses during hard times is “Why is this happening to me? Why am I having such a difficult time? When will things change?”  For me, I get to the point in my difficult situation that I can’t control the outcome that I want. Things aren’t going my way. Then I realized that life is not about “my” way.

It’s during these ups and downs of life, that God gets our attention. I certainly would welcome life to be one “up” after another. But, it’s during suffering, pain, and losses that we can grow in our faith and become more like Jesus. The Bible speaks to building character during our struggles.  Romans 5:3-4 says “We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation.” This progression in endurance, strength of character, and hope is one to seek!

The reality that we encounter adversity and loss in life is not nearly as important as how we choose to deal with it. When those hard times happen, we all have a choice of how we’re going to handle it.

God will use our losses. God will use our setbacks. God will use our trials. God will use our hurts. Trust Him. Run to Him. He is near.
Our God is a God of the Hills and Valleys! Take a listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4rRCjrAyCs

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment