Monday, January 8, 2024

How 'Bout Them Cowboys?

I’ve been a Dallas Cowboys fan since I was a little kid. In my youthful mind, I figured the team to support should have something to do with horses, so I chose the Cowboys. I eventually moved to Dallas so I could be close to them. Crazy, but true.

So, last weekend was pretty special. It finally happened. Jerry Jones inducted Jimmy Johnson into the Dallas Cowboys Ring of Honor during Dallas’ home game against Detroit. As you might know, it was during Johnson’s coaching era that the Cowboys went from 1-15 season, to make the playoffs and win back-to-back Super Bowls. It was quite a special time with the other Ring of Honor greats, like Roger Staubach, Troy Aikman, Michael Irvin, and Emmit Smith. So many fun memories from living in Dallas back in those special days!

At the end of his phenomenal speech, Jimmy Johnson said “Thank you, thank you, thank you and I just got one thing left to say “How ‘bout them Cowboys?”  That. Was. So. Cool. You don't want to know how many times I replayed that.

Jimmy Johnson waited 30 years for this day to happen. Supposedly there was a reason for the wait, a demise in the partnership between Jones and Johnson. I don’t know all the details of the split, but thankfully, things have changed, and Jimmy Johnson now has his name alongside the Cowboys’ most legendary figures, even if he had to wait 30 years.

Who in the world wants to wait for something 30 years? Honestly, I’d like to be so bold to say I hate waiting for a long traffic light….30 seconds! It’s hard to wait!

As you and I look toward 2024, what do you want to see happen that hasn’t happened yet? It’s especially hard to wait when we watch others get what WE may have been waiting for. I imagine Jimmy Johnson felt that way when others got into the Ring of Honor before him. Since he’s 80 years old, he probably wondered if he’d see it in this lifetime!

I have some things I’m waiting for. You do too. They’re things I’ve been praying for and care about deeply. While I wait, I realize that God’s got this. He does. Psalm 130:5 says, “I wait for the LORD, my whole being waits, and in his word I put my hope.”  My hope is in Him.

And while I wait, I don’t have to worry, stress out, doubt, or make a hissy fit. I practice patiently waiting on the Lord. My hope isn’t in another person coming through for me. My hope is in the Lord. I don’t have any idea of a timeline of things happening, but I can trust in God and His promises. I’m trusting that God is moving on my behalf and He is at work, even though I don’t see it.

There was one thing I noticed about that grand celebration for Jimmy Johnson. There was incredible joy and celebration for him. It was his day! It finally happened! And the whole stadium and those of us on TV celebrated!

What are you waiting for?  Bearing a child? Your child to thrive? Finances to improve? Getting married? Physical healing? A promotion? A relationship to change? Are you wondering if or when God will send an answer? God hears our prayers and He’s working out the answers even though we don’t see it.  Will you trust God in your waiting?
Even though we don't see it, He's still working...will you trust Him? Take a listen to Leeland and Waymaker: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJCV_2H9xD0

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio
.

No comments:

Post a Comment