Monday, November 27, 2023

What's in Your Christmas?

In college, quite a few of my roommates decided it’d be fun to get a job at a disco. Dixie Electric Company, the famous Ohio disco at the time, was a ton of fun to work at. During that era, the amazing song, Stayin' Alive came out. Whenever it came on, we’d go crazy and find a way to get on the dance floor.

A few years later, John Travolta created famous dance moves to Stayin' Alive in the movie, Saturday Night Fever. Who didn’t try to mimic his dance moves? It was years later, on a bicycle ride up the coast of California, where I got to meet Mr. Travolta in person in a Carmel restaurant. A moment for this disco-loving gal.

Now, Travolta is back with another rendition of Stayin Alive for Christmas. He’s “older” now, but he hides his hair color too. He’s a disco-dancing Santa in Capital One’s Holiday commercial. It’s cute, it’s fun and it has several memorable moments of the classic film.

In the commercial, wherever Travolta Claus goes, he spreads cheer, with help from a can of “glitter paint” and his Capitol One Quicksilver card. The big question at the end of the commercial is Travolta Claus asking, “What’s in your wallet?”

Gosh, I love that commercial because of the music that brings back fantastic memories. In terms of getting me ready for Christmas, not so much. Maybe the question I would have is “What’s in your Christmas?”

What’s in your Christmas this year? In just a few days, it will be December 1. Have you thoughtfully considered how you’d like to approach the Christmas holiday? Here are some questions that I ponder: How will I try to keep the main thing (Christ) the main thing this holiday season? How can I encourage, support, and pray for those who might struggle this Christmas? How can I maintain a spirit of peace amidst the busyness of the season? What hopes and dreams might Jesus (The Wonderful Counselor) have for me? What might my response be this Christmas to the baby in the manger? 

I find it helpful to ponder, reflect, and consider why I celebrate Christmas. It’s so easy to avoid the real reason for the season, Jesus. Will you take the time to do so this season? What’s in your Christmas?
"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on His shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the greatness of his government and peace there will be no end." Isaiah 9:6-7
Take a listen as you prepare for this Christmas season: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FvUTXcRwvo

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

1 comment:

  1. Nancy, You're holding Y the way that I remember it in my youth. It's very inspiring because it does truly integrate the whole person. Also, the early that this made the norm, I do believe the longer it's life will be in mind, body and spirit of the families and youths served. Keep up the great work!! God Bless. Jonathan P.S. My son lives in San Antonio and works for USAA. https://www.facebook.com/jonathan.dunnemann/, https://www.linkedin.com/in/jonathan-dunnemann-3699aa7b/, https://integrablespace.blogspot.com/, https://www.ngoodcompany.org/

    ReplyDelete