Monday, November 6, 2023

Interruptions

My husband is a Texas Tech grad, although it’s his wife who keeps him informed on Texas Tech sports. This week, Tech played TCU and they won, but the real story is who showed up at the game. Not someone famous or even a former quarterback Patrick Mahomes. It was a POSSUM who showed up and ran across the field, interrupting the play of the game.

The fans got involved too! It was between the first and second quarter of the game, that the possum came running across the field on the 10-yard line. The fans cheered the possum on! Finally, someone who appeared to be from animal control caught it with a snare pole. Viral videos of the possum show him being dragged off the field near the sideline.

Check it the possum of the week: https://www.foxsports.com/watch/fmc-njk964vi1y8kz10o 

Funny how something so small as a possum can interrupt a college football game and make the news. Yet, how do we respond when silly little things disrupt our plans?  Even this week, we weren’t prepared for getting stuck in traffic due to a train or coming down with the respiratory flu. We’re never quite ready for them. How we respond to them matters.

Expect interruptions: I assume that Texas Tech football must have been prepared for something like this to happen since they caught the possum quickly. As adults, we know that these disruptions happen. We have a choice in not throwing a tantrum or pity party. What I’ve learned is that God uses these types of interruptions to help me rely on God and become more like Christ. When I’m sitting in traffic trying to make a dinner reservation, can I be okay?  God’s in control of all the details of my life, can I trust Him with this? Yes.

Gain perspective:  I loved how all the fans just joined in with the fun and started cheering the possum on! What a great way to turn a disruption into a bit of fun! If you walk with God, do You believe that His grace is sufficient to get us through each day? Do you believe that He is in control? Can you, in the moment, believe that Christ is enough to satisfy all your needs, even when things don’t go your way?

Life with God: I’m reminded daily that I can’t do life without God. I just can’t. Interruptions remind me that no matter how much I plan and try to control things, I’m not in charge. God is! I don’t have life figured out and just when I’m not expecting it, things can go south. It’s these challenges, that keep me running back to Jesus. I’m so thankful for his grace and forgiveness when I fail to respond to life’s frustrating events calmly.

How about you? How do you handle the interruptions that come your way? We all have them. May the Lord help us and guide us to walk through them with grace and peace.
This is one of my favorite worship songs...a contestant reminder of how I need Him to make room for God in those challenging interruptions: (Make Room, Community Music) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrQuKK6jz-4

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment