Monday, November 20, 2023

Thanksgiving Love

Thanksgiving stirs up all kinds of emotions. For the widower, it’s a holiday without the one they love. For the single person, it’s joining in with another family. For the family with relational strife, it’s coming together wishing they weren’t together. For others, it's a beautiful gathering with those in our lives we love.

I’m convinced that our God can help us with all the “feels” and “fears’ that the holidays conjure up. I believe God truly helps us give “love” even though we may not feel it in return. God would not command us to do what we are incapable of doing. John 15:12-13 says “My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.” Loving others pleases our God. Loving others is intentional.

As you approach Thanksgiving this week, maybe consider a few things:

Pray about the holiday gathering: Pray for those that you will be with on Thanksgiving. Ask God to show you ways that you can intentionally love them. Pray for each person coming that THEY would have a joy-filled holiday. Pray for all the preparations and that we’d be more focused on the people than the perfection of the table or food. Pray for opportunities to encourage others. Everyone has their issues and holidays tend to magnify those issues. Don’t allow your opinions, albeit politics or anything else, to take over. We need God’s help to love like He loves.

Love is intentional: I’ve been to Thanksgiving meals where I’m not sure I “felt” like I had much to give. Thankfully, God enables us to love even when we may not feel like loving. There is not one of us that are great at loving in our human nature. We all botch it. But love comes from the Holy Spirit when we walk with God. God can help us love even when we don’t feel like loving. Who is that EGR (Extra Grace Required) person that you need God’s help in loving?

Model Jesus’ love- This verse resonates with what I desire for not just Thanksgiving, but a way of life. Romans 12:10, 18 says “Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves…. if it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.” Have you ever been at a gathering where everyone is just talking about themselves and talking over everyone else? It’s sure is common for us to want to focus on ourselves, isn’t it? Jesus models the love found in Romans 12:10, 18 and requires conscious choices, conscious actions, and even sacrifices in our relationships. How might God be calling you to model Jesus’ love during the holidays?

A Gospel Mindset- We were born spiritually dead, through the failure of the first Adam. But because of Christ, we can be made alive and live in Jesus’ forgiveness and righteousness. In my flesh, I am a mess. But, because of my relationship with God and the Holy Spirit in me, He can help me be more others-centered, loving, and caring through my union with Christ. Nothing will ever separate me from his love. (Romans 8:31-35) Having a gospel mindset helps me when I’m in challenging situations. God is near. He is present and He gives me all I need to walk with love and peace.

I have a feeling every one of us can give more love this Thanksgiving, no matter what our circumstances are. I pray that all of us can walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. (Ephesians 4:30-5:2) Happy Thanksgiving!
Check out this song, Love One Another, by Newsboys! What a great challenge for us! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAFMGRMhFsM

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment