Sunday, October 2, 2022

Personal Hurricanes

I’ve not been in a hurricane, but I have seen the destruction of Harvey, which was incomprehensible. As I watched Ian inch toward Florida, I couldn’t fathom all that Floridians were going through as they fled their homes. Loss of property is one thing, but the loss of life is so grievous.

Perhaps, you, like me, feared what was to come with Ian. I have friends that live in Florida. I have family members that have homes there. All we could do is wait, pray, and hope that everything would be ok. When everyone was thinking it was projected toward Tampa Bay, it took a turn and hit Ft Meyers. There was no rhyme or reason to Ian.

I suppose this physical hurricane is a type of what goes on in our own souls. Our own personal hurricanes can come in all shapes and sizes. They hit one way and turn another. They blow into our homes and cause relational strife. They blow into the physician’s office which brings a horrific diagnosis. They blow in from stress and anxiety that can’t seem to be controlled. They blow in from the gossip which literally brings stinging shame and guilt.

The winds of our own souls can often blow uncontrollably with hurt, pain, and deep sorrow. Where does one turn? How can our God be sufficient for our own personal hurricanes?

Psalm 94:19 says “When my anxious thoughts multiply within me, Your comfort delights my soul.” The word “delight” literally means “soothe.” The Hebrew word is also used in Isaiah 66:11 of a mother quieting her child with the breast. God was the Psalmist’s refuge, and as he meditated on Him, it made his mind calm. (Psalm 94:19, Bible Hub) God's comforts are His promises that are in His word. They bring peace!

Think about the number of thoughts that pass through your mind in one 24-hour period. In that 24-hour period, our thoughts can range from fear, anxiety, joy, anticipation, worry about what someone thinks, shame, rehearsing, jealousy, comparison, regret, guilt, skepticism, anger, foolishness, and more. I have found, though, that the more I can calm my heart by seeking God, He helps comfort me and gives me peace. Often, I may just be saying a three-word prayer, “Help me, God.” And I can assure you, when I pray that simple prayer, God answers.

As we go through our own hurricanes, God comforts us and shows Himself faithful. We then see that the most important thing we can do is to ask “Who can I love, serve and care for?” You will find that many in hurricane recovery work are those that have gone through a hurricane themselves. So, as we see God take us through our own hurricanes, we will be able to help others in similar circumstances.

Hurricane Ian brought people together. People helping people. People caring for people. May we realize that we can’t go through our own personal hurricanes alone. We need each other. We need to talk. Ask for help. Ask for prayer. Let someone know. We hold our personal hurricanes hostage in our own minds, and we just can’t. Remember, there is a God that cares. People care too.
Is there anything that's stable in this life? Check out this worship song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzQvggUparA

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment