Tuesday, October 25, 2022

God Cares

 So, I screamed at the dermatologist the other day. Like really screamed. I think that’s a first for me. I couldn’t help it. I was having the hopefully last treatment on my poor little button nose for skin cancer. It’s totally wearied of all the work it’s had on it over the last few months.  This procedure was the last straw. The nurse put three numbing shots into the scar tissue to prepare for this procedure. That was what led to my scream(s). I caused quite a ruckus as someone knocked on the door to make sure all was well. Sure, all is well. At the end of the procedure, I got my humor back and asked “Did I win the award for the loudest scream today?” She said, “Yes, for today!”


I literally couldn’t hide my pain that day at the dermatologist. I just couldn’t. But, sometimes, don’t we do everything we can to try to hide our pain? There are times in our life when we can be so discouraged and weary, but the show must go on! We put a smile on our faces and keep going. How do we find God in our pain or discouragement?

This past week, I’ve been reading about Elijah in 1 Kings 19 of the Bible. At first take, Elijah appears superhuman as he confronts a king with all the idolatry going on. Pretty cool to see the courageous Elijah! But then, immediately after, there was a major collapse. Elijah was tired, weary, and discouraged. Let’s read:

“Now Ahab told Jezebel everything Elijah had done and how he had killed all the prophets with the sword. So, Jezebel sent a messenger to Elijah to say “May the gods deal with me, be it ever so severely, if by this time tomorrow I do not make your life like that of one of them.” Elijah was afraid and ran for his life. When he came to Beersheba in Judah, he left his servant there, while he himself went a day’s journey into the desert. He came to a broom tree, sat down under it, and prayed that he might die. I have had enough, LORD,” he said. “Take my life: I am no better than my ancestors.” Then he lay down under the tree and fell asleep.” All at once an angel touched him and said, “Get up and eat.” He looked around and there by his head was a cake of bread baked over hot coals, and a jar of water. He ate and drank and then lay down again. The angel of the LORD came back a second time and touched him and said, “Get up and eat, for the journey is too much for you” So he got up and ate and drank. Strengthened by that food, he traveled forty days and forty nights until he reached Horeb, the mountain of God. Then he went into the cave and spent the night.” 1 Kings 19:1-9

To think that right after such a spiritual victory, Elijah would experience depth of discouragement, pain, and weariness. I doubt that Elijah could hide his pain either! Yet, Elijah could never hide from God. God was with him all the time, tending to Him, providing an angel, giving him rest and food, and even a broom tree to sit under! God was comforting him with all He needed so he could continue his mission.

Elijah was human just like we are. He struggled with his mind, his body, and his spirit, just like we do. Yet even when he was at wit's end, He was honest with God. He was ready to quit. He felt alone and poured out his questions to God. God gently encouraged Elijah with exactly what he needed.

My scream in the dermatology office was a human response to significant pain. So often we do everything we can to hide our weaknesses from ourselves and others. But what a reminder that God cares for us in those moments and longs for us to trust Him with every care and concern that we have. Will you trust Him today?

Do you ever feel alone, discouraged, or weary? Take a listen. God cares!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7-IAFogxcM

“As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him, for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are but dust.” Psalm 103:13-14

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment