Monday, September 26, 2022

Never Give Up!

Who created the game of basketball? Dr. James Naismith. I remember learning that in high school phys ed! But what you may not know is the story behind his story.

James Naismith had a tough life. He was born in 1861, but his father and mother died when he was only 8 years old. He then made his home with his uncle. He earned a theology degree from McGill University and then graduated from Springfield College, then the YMCA Training School.  He attended as a student but was later asked to join the faculty in 1891 by Dr. Luther Gulick, the director of the physical education department.

During a psychology seminar, Dr. Gulick challenged the class to invent a new game. He was looking for an indoor activity that would be interesting, easy to learn, and easy to play indoors in the winter. This activity was needed both by the Training School and the YMCA’s across the country. Naismith thought that he could take factors of known games and recombine them.

Then Dr. Gulick assigned him a class of incorrigible students, who had no interest in exercise and no enthusiasm! Naismith felt imposed upon! Why him? He struggled with the class of young men with no success. He made attempts at modifying football and soccer, but that went nowhere. It was challenge after challenge.

Naismith recounts “With weary footsteps, I mounted the flight of stairs that led to my office directly over the locker room. I slumped down in my chair, my head in my hands and my elbows on the desk. I was thoroughly disheartened and discouraged young instructor."  The game of basketball grew out of Naismith’s discouraged, but determined spirit. It was invented by a man sitting at his desk, thinking it through, and never giving up. To think, some years later, Dr. Naismith and his wife attended the Olympic Games in 1936 when basketball became one of the Olympic events! Can you imagine all he felt watching the Olympics? (much of the content of Naismith's life from www.ymca.int)

I don’t know about you, but there have been days in my career where I felt like Naismith…. slumped down in my chair, head in my hands, and elbows on my desk. You know that feeling. Discouraged. Defeated. Not sure what to do. We sometimes can only see what we can see. We can’t see how we can possibly get out of our bad situation. When we’re up against overwhelming circumstances, (parenting struggles, relational pain, work woes, a new diagnosis, or something else) we may see no possible way out. We feel helpless. It reminds me of David in the Bible when he was at his wit’s end. Psalm 86:1-2 “Hear, O LORD, and answer me, for I am poor and needy. Guard my life, for I am devoted to you. You are my God; save your servant who trusts in You.” Sometimes, in the midst of our troubles, all we can do is cry out to God. He hears and cares for us!

Just think, Naismith seemed at the end of himself, and yet that was literally the very beginning of the game of basketball! So many people have received such joy from playing and watching the game of basketball. No matter what’s going on, please don’t give up. God has a plan for you and it is always good.

“I want to leave the world a better place for me having been there.” Dr. James Naismith

“My pay has not been in dollars, but in the satisfaction of giving something to the world that is a benefit to the masses of people.” Dr. James Naismith

Check out my favorite worship song these days. I know, I've shared it before, but it's so good. What would happen if we let God take control of our life? Perhaps, it would be more than we could ever imagine!!!! Take a listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrQuKK6jz-4

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment