Monday, June 28, 2021

The Plague of "I's"

I’ve come to realize there are two “I’s” that continue to plague me: impatience and irritability. They are like cousins in crime that aren’t fun to be around.

I believe there’s been an upsurge in impatience and irritability post- COVID. What adds to the surge? Hot summers. Crowds. Traveling. Wearing masks. Crazy drivers. Annoying people. Plane delays. Maybe you can add a few more of your own?

We’re sorely afraid to admit that sometimes we’re the annoying person.  We rarely look long and hard at our own stuff because frankly, we don’t want to. We’d rather avoid looking and hope that others don’t take note. However, it’s super easy to see these traits in others.

I had to get a grip on this in my own life recently. This week, I had to make an unexpected trip out of town. It wasn’t bad enough to get up at 3:45 a.m. that morning. Add to that, I forgot my backpack that I needed for the trip! These kinds of situations spell impatience and a ton of irritability. God pointed out quite clearly, while traveling, that these were two areas that He wanted to deal with me on. Even thought I was tired and cranky, I am still called to be a bearer of peace, patience and gentleness.

Just as I was about to beat myself up for my failures in this area, God, in his grace, reminded me of the grace I had been given by Jesus. God sent his Son Jesus to the cross to be a sin offering for me and for you. For a moment I had forgotten his walk to the cross, his death and resurrection and his sacrifice for my sin. I had forgotten that all I had to do was ask for help with my impatience and irritability and Jesus would help me. I had forgotten how God sees me as his beloved, in spite of my sin. I was trying to do better on my own and failed miserably.

Whether we’re busy, vacationing, stressed out, at work or at a crowded concert, these two “I’s” will come rising out of nowhere in us. Be sure of it! Be sure, there ARE annoying things and people in life that can be undeniably frustrating. Yet I believe, God calls us to extend grace and respond with grace. He teaches us the value of practicing patience. God reminds us in Philippians 4:5 “Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.” How would letting your gentleness be evident to all change things in you? Others aorund you?

In Proverbs 15:1, it says “A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.” Wow! What if I took this seriously in all my responses? What if I responded with a gentle answer? It would not only change me, but those around me! This is so opposite of irritability! How I long for this!

Time to crush the plague of the I’s. The Lord is near. He truly desires to transforms us if we only ask.

We want to live the rest of our days as encouragers and “builder-uppers”-slow to react harshly and take things personally, and lightning-quick to believe the best about others.” Scotty Smith

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio. 

No comments:

Post a Comment