Monday, June 7, 2021

Road Rage

Road rage seems to be a notch higher post COVID. A few days ago, I watched something unfold that could best be described as “road refusal.” I had entered my correct left turn lane proceeding to go forward to catch the green light arrow in front of me. Alas, a young woman decided to turn right in front of me, but got stuck right in front of me, due to oncoming traffic. I honked my horn, which only made her road rage escalate. I probably shouldn’t have, but I almost hit her!

I then received my due punishment. Even though her path cleared to turn, she decided to block my way. She just stopped, opened her window and just smirked as if to say “I’m not moving.” I was dumfounded.

I was grateful I was almost home. I can still see her smirk on her face, just wanting me to do something. I didn’t thankfully, but boy, I was tempted.

Taking offense when others behave badly is easy to do. Yet, taking offense when others behave badly allow others to dictate your emotions and your quality of life going forward. Just think, that young woman could have had the power to destroy my day! When someone wrongs us, we instantly feel the need for justice and fairness. We feel we have “the right to be angry” and give a revenge due their wrong committed. It’s so stinking natural to respond like this! It took me everything I could to just stop, wait, and move my car when she decided to stop blocking my way.

I think it’s helpful to turn to Jesus in the Gospels for help in these matters. He did things correctly. He was perfect. He was the Son of God. And though Christians make a ton of mistakes and sin all the time, Jesus doesn’t. At His most difficult time on earth, during his betrayal, floggings, carrying the cross and being mocked by others, Jesus had more right to take offense than anyone! So many had harmed and wronged him! Yes, he saw past all those who wronged him and instead was able to say “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do?” (Luke 23:34)

What? How could Jesus do this? Here, in this place of great agony, pain and experience the worst of all offenses and injustices, Jesus chose a different way. Mercy. Grace. Forgiveness. Love. Compassion. Prayer. I want my life to look more like Jesus’ life. I know He can help me learn to live without offense.

Consider personally: What are those wounds or insecurities that can cause you to easily take offense? Tell God what's hard for you. He cares. He already knows! Then, ask Him to help you look past other’s brokenness and live with a heart of forgiveness. Ask Him to help you love others like Jesus loved. God will help us in this. We can learn a new way.

“Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.” Ephesians 4:32

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment