Monday, May 31, 2021

Memorial Day Musings

My brother and I reached that moment in time that most of us never want to face: Going through our parents’ possessions. There were a lot of light-hearted moments, especially when Ben, my husband, cranked up the old slide projector, complete with slides from our childhood. Who doesn't need to see an old slide show?

One thing that made me smile is finding my dad’s two white sailor hats. One had first names written all around the hat. I assume these were my dad’s fellow mates in the platoon, serving together over time. There were all sorts of other navy memorabilia, each item having a hidden story from years gone by.

I regret that over time I failed to ask my dad more about his days in the navy. I’ve heard many stories, for sure. Why didn’t I inquire more? I guess I was alot like other kids, where the focus was on the kids, not the parents. I’m thankful my dad’s still around and can still share some of those stories!

This Memorial Day, here’s an invitation to remember and honor all who have served and sacrificed for our freedom. Take time to inquire, ask, engage in other’s lives and learn about their history: What do you remember most about those years? How was it difficult? What did you learn? What did it teach you about life? What advice can you pass on to me?  Be sure to share your gratitude for their service.

So, my message is simple today. Get outside of yourself. Spend some time with people who have been around a whole lot longer than you. Honor them well. Here are a some verses to ponder and reflect upon this Memorial Day:

“This is my commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends.” 
John 15:12-13

“Render to all what is due them; tax to whom tax is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honor to whom honor.” Romans 13:7

“We give thanks to God always for all of you, making mention of you in our prayers; constantly bearing in mind your work of faith and labor of love.” 
1 Thessalonians 1:2-3

“Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his godly ones.”
 Psalm 116:14-15

“Be free from pride-filled opinions, for they will only harm your cherished unity. Don’t allow self-promotion to hide in your hearts, but in authentic humility put others first and view others as more important than yourselves. Abandon every display of selfishness. Possess a greater concern for what matters to others instead of your own interests.” Philippians 2:3-4 (The Passion Translation)

This Memorial Day, remember the fallen and honor their sacrifice. Thank those who are with us and have served our country. Reflect on your own mortality and utter dependence on God. Let’s get outside ourselves and learn from others who’ve gone before us.

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment