Monday, May 17, 2021

Praying Like Crazy

Waiting drives me crazy. I’m the type of person that tries to cram a bit more into my day than I should. My husband calls it a ‘Nancy schedule.” When I have to stop, slow down and wait, I can get a bit cranky. I’m learning to wait and more importantly to wait on God.

I’ve learned a few things in my many years on this planet. Waiting on God is not always easy. Let’s take the discipline of prayer. If we all believed that God answered prayer, we would be praying like crazy! Nothing would stop us. Yet, we fail to understand that God DOES answer prayer. He may say “no”, “wait,” or “yes” to our prayers. It’s those “no’s” and “wait’s” that we have trouble with.

Prayer is really about a relationship with God. It’s recognizing that He is God and we are not God. Prayer becomes an opportunity to join with Him in His plan and purpose for our lives. Case in point, I prayed for approximately 30 years for God to provide a husband and children. God answered my prayer at just the right time for my husband, but He said “no” to my prayer for children. Why? I don’t know. But, what I do know is that God has given me great joy in encouraging and praying for other moms and their kids. When I accept His perfect plan for me, there is so much peace, joy and contentment!

I can honestly say that there was STILL pain in God’s answer! There were times I didn’t understand what God was doing. I would question God and his plan for my life. The waiting seemed even harder when those around me enjoyed affirmative answers to their prayers in the area that I didn’t. Yes, waiting can be excruciating.

Even today, there are certain matters I pray about day after day, year after year. I’m asking God to do what only He can do. At times, I still get frustrated in the waiting, well, because, you know, I want things to happen NOW. But it’s in those times of persevering prayer, I get closer to God, trust in His plan and realize He knows best. Prayer is not going to God to get what I want. Prayer is aligning my will with the One who knows me most and loves me best.  

Colossians 4:2 says “Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving.” I want this kind of steadfastness in prayer, ya’ll, because I know that God would be pleased by that. I want to be watchful, expectant and waiting on Him to do what only He can do. Finally, I want to be thankful. I want to be so in love with Jesus that I would long for Him even more than getting my prayers answered, knowing He has His very best for me.

If you believe that God answers prayer, what keeps you from praying like crazy?

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment