Monday, October 5, 2020

Reminders

I feel like I need post-it notes all around me these days. I need reminders of those things I need to remember. I’m not referring to my shopping list or remembering an appointment. I’m referring to reminders for my mind. The spiritual choices I need to make to walk through these challenging days. Here’s a few of my reminders to my self:

Trust God further than what you can see- I’ve been learning that my trust muscle can only grow stronger when it’s used regularly. During our current trial, I’m pleading with God to trust Him when I can’t see the future or know the outcome.

The old song, Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus, reminds me of what I CAN see. I can see Jesus taking care of us, meeting each need, walking with me through every challenge.

O soul, are you weary and troubled? No light in the darkness you see?
There’s a light for a look at the Savior, And life more abundant and free!
Refrain: Turn your eyes upon Jesus. Look full in his wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim, In the light of His glory and grace.
  (Songwriter: Helen Howarth Lemmel)

Don’t get distracted by opinions of others. We live in a day and age where we can be very focused on “what others think.” Whether on Facebook, Instagram or LinkedIn, we’ve all probably clicked some form of a like button. We signal to others what we think of what someone has shared. It’s a sort of validation. Whether it's social media or someone just sharing their opinion, we can get sidetracked by someone's opinion. 

How do you handle not getting validation? How do you handle being judged by others? Staying the course for me in this season means I must place my mind and heart more on the things of God and his opinion and less on what others think. We can get so sidetracked by the opinions of others. They can rule our hearts, our minds and our emotions. Don’t let them!

Studying God’s word helps me focus on His opinion. In Galations 1:10, I see this exact concern being questioned: “Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.” I want to please God and I need this reminder!

Never stop praying! Prayer, for me, is an ongoing conversation with God. Sometimes I talk. Sometimes I listen. Sometimes, I wait. I can talk to God about anything. Just yesterday, I was asking God to help me in an upcoming horse show. I needed Him to help me gain confidence in doing a certain pattern. I kind of laughed at myself in asking Him about something that seemed so trivial. Yet, as I practiced that very night, I did do better and I did gain confidence. God cares about EVERYTHING! So, one of my reminders is to always involve Him in every aspect of my life! Prayer is my life line and I must remember that!

What reminders to you need to help you through this season? Take time for your spiritual health. Spend some time writing in your journal. Ask God for His reminders for you!

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio. 

No comments:

Post a Comment