Sunday, October 18, 2020

Wheelchair Living

I’ve had my share of navigating older folks around in wheelchairs earlier in my career. I remember training our Dallas nursing home staff to help bridge the gap between sympathy and empathy by giving them an extended “experience” in the wheelchair. You see things differently from a wheelchair.

Fast-forward many years. Now, it’s my husband in a wheelchair.  Ben, who recently broke his pelvis in a bike accident, is experiencing life from a wheelchair. As much as Ben would like to walk, it’s necessary that he wait. The wheelchair does something for him he can’t do himself.

I would say all of us would prefer to walk, rather than tool around in a wheelchair. Ben sure would! The wheelchair is that reminder that sometime in our life, we may experience a weakness or inability that makes us dependent upon something or someone else. Most all of us would prefer independence. But, in Scripture, we see that God anticipated our weakness....

“In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express.” (Romans 8:26)

As a Christian, I have the Holy Spirit living in me. He actually helps me in my weakness! He does something for me that I can’t do myself, just like the wheelchair!

Ben and I are not left to our own resources to get through this hard time. We have the Holy Spirit who helps us pray. He counsels and comforts us in this challenging season. He prays for us when we struggle to know how to pray. God literally carries us. 

Where do you need God to carry you today? Are your fearful of the election results? Are you struggling in a decision? Are you smack dab in a big trial where you feel drained and inadequate? Do you need wisdom for a challenging relationship? Are you grieving something or someone?

Rest in our Father God’s love. He is very present. He longs to carry you too! He may not take away the circumstance, but He will be so present in the circumstance.

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio. 

No comments:

Post a Comment