Sunday, September 27, 2020

Questioning God?

I don’t always “get” God. Sometimes, I would just like to tell him a thing or two about what I feel He should do. But, I think He has his gig down pretty well.

There are times in my life where I question God. God, why would you allow this? How come this happened? Is this or that fair? What were You thinking?  How I handle these questions is of utmost importance in my faith journey.

Most of us are uncomfortable with things we can’t fully understand. I imagine that’s why many folks don’t really want to get to know God. We can’t control God. We attempt to fit God into our own box to keep things safe. But, God doesn’t do boxes. He’s God.

I think I have a standing problem of making God too small. I want Him to fit into my little world and mind. He doesn’t. Natalie Grant’s King of the World song says my sentiments exactly:

I tried to fit you in the walls inside my mind
I try to keep you safely in between the lines
I try to put you in the box that I’ve designed
I try to pull you down so we are eye to eye


When did I forget that you’ve always been the king of the world?
I try to take life back right out of the hands of the king of the world
How could I make you so small
When you’re the one who holds it all
When did I forget that you’ve always been the king of the world?......

(Songwriters: Becca Mizell/Natalie Grant/Samuel Mizell)

God can’t fit into your box. Don’t pull Him down to your level. He won’t budge. Learn to look up to Him. Give Him your questions and concerns. He listens well…better than any human. He is God of the universe and literally wants to know you and do life with You.

I don’t understand God. I never will. But, He’s worthy of my trust. So, here we are in the middle of a big ole’ trial, we’re not gonna give up on Him. We’re not gonna’ say “God, how could you allow this?” We’re going to trust Him. He’s gonna see us through. He's worthy of our trust. Just read the Bible and you'll see!   

“Aslan is a lion-the Lion, the great Lion.”  “Ooh” said Susan. “I’d thought he was a man. Is he-quite safe? I shall feel rather nervous about meeting a lion”…. “Safe?” said Mr. Beaver….”who said anything about safe? Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the King. I tell you.” C.S. Lewis, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia #1)

"I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through His Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love may have power, together with all of the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge- that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.” 
Ephesians 3:16-19

Nancy Abbott is the Chaplain of the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment